The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 19-06-2019

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Please look at this astrolabe or any other of this tipe and era.

I've said this before but I can not get it out of my head:  Why the star-pointers are so similar to certain Voynich glyphs as the 9-like symbol and Eva-g and Eva-m without e and i respectively?

If there were no stars in the Voyich the question would not make sense, but the VM is full of stars!

RE: No text, but a visual code - Linda - 19-06-2019

But these glyphs are not just found on astrolabes, they can be found in almost any writings of the day.

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 19-06-2019

Linda's right, Antonio. Those are normal Latin symbols. They are used as abbreviations in almost every manuscript, and in medieval manuscripts they are also in the same positions in the words as they are in the Voynich manuscript.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 20-06-2019

JKP, I agree with you when you write: the VM author had a working knowledge of Latin scribal conventions that suggests classical training.

And as you also say that doesn’t mean the text is Latin.

What I think is that the author invented a code of symbols using some glyph shapes derived from Latin, only some that fit his purpose.

I am not an expert in paleography, but it would be interesting to know if in the high Middle Ages there were loans from Arabic script, since Arabic was then the language of culture. Astrolabes were instruments developed by the Arabs and I think they can explain some things related with the VM.

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 21-06-2019

I agree that westerners owe a debt to the Arabs for their astronomical knowledge, but the VMS text doesn't really have anything in common with Arabic script.

The "9" shape might be superficially similar to Arabic "q" but this shape is found in many alphabets, just as P and o shapes are found in many alphabets.

In the VMS, the "9" shape is positioned the same way it is positioned in texts that use Latin characters. It does not follow the positional patterns of Arabic script.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 21-06-2019

Summer starts today in the northen hemisphere. It is the longest day of the year, the summer solstice. In all cultures there are traditions that relate the summer solstice with magical and medicinal herbs. It is an empirical knowledge, since plants absorb light to make their active and curative ingredients.
   I am convinced that some of this must be in the VM, a work that mixes herbs with astronomy.

I'm not speculating. I have seen in volvelles of the time of the VM the numbers 8 and 4 (this latter in its old Arabic form) related with the sign of Cancer, the solstice, to indicate the hours of light and night. The sphere is divided in quadrants: two quadrants of 8 hours of light and other two of 4 hours of night.

The numbers 8 and 4 (its old form) are in the script of the VM and they are the only numbers. All the positions of the celestial objets are ordered in relation to Cancer.
 The most common 'word' (daiin) or (8aiin) could be the highest point of the sphere. The number 8 marks the zodiac sign and (aiin) the exact place or degree, like 8an, 8ain, and 8aiiin are other degrees of Cancer.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 23-06-2019

I wrote in my previous post about the sign of Cancer, the Summer solstice, and its presence in the VM with the numbers 8 and 4. When years later the zodiac symbols were invented, Cancer was represented as two inverted 9-like glyphs. What a coincidence!
  So we have that the (o) symbol of the VM is equivalent in structure and shape to the 9-like glyph, which is an (o) with a tail. We have the shape of the star-pointers of the astrolabes so similar to the 9-like glyph, and we have the symbol of the Cancer, a constelation of stars, represented as two 9-like glyphs.
  I already know that the 9-like glyph is also a Latin abbreviation. And, what a coincidence, when this glyph is at the end of the word is a 9 superscript. It is up, above the line. 
  All this must be related and have an explanation.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 25-06-2019

The glyphs of the VM script are composed of combinations of much simpler elements. This is a statement that many of us can share. The Brian Cham's curve-line system explains well this observation. And I like the idea that Anton wrote about the similarity of this system and the monastic ciphers or the astrolabe of Berselius. The conceptual similarity of cultural products of the same period.
   In the same way as the monastic ciphers, the shape of the VM glyphs has meaning.
  It is also striking the similarity of the ciphers of Berselius astrolabe and some of the rare glyphs of the VM like the ones we see in the four repeated series of f57v. There seems to be a common underlying idea that reinforces the hypothesis that the VM script is a set of symbols with their own meaning.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 28-06-2019

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

This image is worth a thousand words. It is a illustration of the Mandeville travels circa 1410, contemporary of the VM. Astronomers studying the stars with astrolabes and writing strange signs on the floor.
Why strange signs?

RE: No text, but a visual code - davidjackson - 28-06-2019

Quote:Why strange signs?
Because whoever wrote the caption didn't understand the picture.