The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - pjburkshire - 25-03-2024

There is a symbol that is used several times in the margins of "Medallions of the Seven Planets" that is very similar to a symbol on page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in Quire 13. My interpretation of this symbol on page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is that it is "Heaven". My interpretation is that the line from "Heaven" to the blue star-like symbol over the woman is that a soul is leaving "Heaven" and entering the body of the mother-to-be. This is Ensoulment in the tradition of Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Koen G - 25-03-2024

pjburkshire, this thread is specifically about Antonio's theory. If you wish to discuss ensoulment, please do so in its own thread (of which you have several already).

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 25-03-2024

Thank you very much Koen

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 27-03-2024

In relation to my previous post about the planets holding stars, I think it is pertinent to recall the question of gender again. Why do we see hundreds of women in the VM?

For me it has a clear explanation: they represent the fixed stars. And for any speaker of a language derived from Latin it is easier to see this than for a speaker whose mother tongue is English because this language lacks grammatical gender.

Here in Spain I once entered a restaurant that distinguished the men's and women's toilets with a Sun and Moon painted on the door. A speaker of a Latin language would have no problem, but an English speaker would be puzzled not knowing what his/her toilet is.

Although it seems like a minor problem, it is not considering that this forum is developed in English and almost all of the VM's research has been done in this language.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Koen G - 27-03-2024

I agree that English is a difficult language to talk about grammatical gender.

On the other hand, Latin for soul is also feminine. There is evidence of male monks thinking of their souls as female etc.

Just to say, taking into account grammatical gender doesn't unambiguously point to a single solution.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 27-03-2024

The iconological identification of female figures is one of the keys to understanding the VM. Anything is possible but the field of probability is much smaller.

The internal evidence of the book and the few contemporary testimonies that we can consider parallels point to identifying these female figures as the stars of the Zodiac. I have shown before the image of the codex with the planets holding stars in their hands. I could also add the books of King Alfonso X the wise, with allegorical figures of stars in the degrees of zodiacal circles.

Modestly, if we were to give probabilities of all the theories that populate out there about the meaning of these female figures, I think that mine is the one that has by far the greatest probability of being true.

RE: No text, but a visual code - pjburkshire - 27-03-2024

(27-03-2024, 08:57 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The internal evidence of the book and the few contemporary testimonies that we can consider parallels point to identifying these female figures as the stars of the Zodiac

I look forward to seeing your video on YouTube when you get all those stars and nymphs worked out. How many do you have matched up so far?

RE: No text, but a visual code - Koen G - 27-03-2024

(27-03-2024, 08:57 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Modestly, if we were to give probabilities of all the theories that populate out there about the meaning of these female figures, I think that mine is the one that has by far the greatest probability of being true.

It depends how problematic it is that the nymphs represent stars while simultaneously holding stars on strings. I get when planets are personified - they are after all associated with mythological figures. But why draw a series of cookie-cutter human figures to represent stars, and then have those personified stars also hold stars on strings? Why not draw regular stars like in the other diagrams?

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 28-03-2024

For me it is simple. Female figures hold stars to say: look at me I'm a star. What I say could someone think that it is the fruit of my imagination. No, I don't invent anything. I have seen everything I say. 

The greatest parallel that exists for the zodiacal pages of the VM are the zodiacal pages of the lapidary of King Alfonso.

Let's look at the Aries page: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

To Christianize Arab astrological magic, King Alfonso placed angels in all the degrees of the zodiac sign, but in the inner circle the 30 degrees are occupied by figures with stars. These figures do not hold the stars with strings as in the Voynich but the message is the same.

RE: No text, but a visual code - R. Sale - 28-03-2024

The nymphs of the VMs zodiac sequence represent astral, celestial, cosmic spirits. Some have compared them to days of the month. They are clearly drawn to be associated with the stars. However, nymphs are associated with stars *only* when nymphs are associated with stars. Nymphs in other parts of the VMs do not have stellar associations.

As far as the classical mythology I know, different groups of nymphs or spirits each had their specific domains, the ocean, the stars, the trees, whatever. In mythology, the nymphs stay in their domains.  Ocean nymphs don't replace tree nymphs. Star nymphs don't put away their stars and take to the water, if that is what they appear to be doing in the "bathing" section. It's always different nymphs in different domains.