The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 10-04-2019

My impression is that the VMS is not weird. I mean its message, its cultural framework. Of course, its script is completely strange, but its philosophy corresponds to the thought of the XV century. It is the Neoplatonic mentality, the hermetic corpus as it was picked up by Marsilio Ficino.
  In his work De triplici vita, Ficino, who was a doctor, explains how to attract the influence of the stars. He considers magic as a channeling of cosmic powers.
  We usually reject this kind of thinking but is key to understand that period of history. As Frances Yates said: learned magic, with its promise of power over the world, was one part of the soil from which grew the New Science.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 14-04-2019

One thing in which I think often are the labels in different sections of the VMS to designate unrelated objects. I remember a thread by VViews about 'otaly', label which marks some stars of the Zodiac section, a tube, and some plants/roots.
 It can't be object identifications, although I think these things are related by the label. What I believe is that 'otaly' is a string of symbols that indicates the location of the stars, their coordinates. You see it in Zodiac signs because the place is occupìed by a different star in each sign. These stars give its virtues to the plants labeled with 'otaly' and come down to the Earth across the pipe with that label.
  To understand the VMS you have to keep in mind the Ptolemaic Universe. Copernicus put the Sun in the center but he kept thinking of a solid Universe full of crystalline spheres. They are the spheres which the nude ladies, that is, the stars have to go through the pipes.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 19-04-2019

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

This astrology manuscript of the National Library of the Spain is contemporary of the VMS. You can see in it two relevant things. First, the stars of constellations are depicted like little circles without points, and second, there are symbols for the planets but there are no Zodiac symbols yet.
  Therefore, you can't rule out the possibility that the glyph (o) of the VMS stands for a degree of the sphere or simply a star. This would explain why (o) is the most frequent glyph of the VMS.
  And since there were no symbols yet for Zodiac constellations, they used numbers for designate them, numbers based in the hours of light of each sign. We see in some volvelles the numbers 8 and 4 for the Zodiac signs of solstices. These numbers can see the same we see in the VMS.  

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 21-04-2019

One of the key points of the VMS script is the relationship between (o), (a) and (9). The glyphs (a) and (9) as we know have a complementary distribution. In a comment to Emma's post about her transformation theory, Koen wrote:"when an (a) is in a certain position it gets a long tail and become a (9), EVA-y". 
 Let's no forget thant Currier thought that (a) could be an (o) with a little tail.

Some think that (o), (a) and (9) can be vowels of a language. I respect this opinion, but I don't believe in a linguistic solution. 
  What I think is that these glyphs have an astronomical meaning. An (o) can be a certain degree of the celestial sphere and it gets a long or a little tail to become a star depending on whether it is near or far from the ecliptic. 
For me the VMS script is nothing more than a catalog of stars. And nothing less.

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 21-04-2019

(21-04-2019, 02:44 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....
For me the VMS script is nothing more than a catalog of stars. And nothing less.

This was before telescopes. Generally only the stars they cared about (those used for telling time and for navigation) had names. When you read the names of stars in medieval manuscripts, it only takes up 1/2 page, maybe a page or two. That's all. Even if you add coordinates or other information, I doubt it would fill a whole manuscript.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 21-04-2019

I agree with you JKP but I don't think in stars names. We can identify stars by describing their position in the sky. I think is what the VMS script does by using the movement of the Moon, the glyps c, cc, ccc and the benches, together with the other symbols.

For the people of XV century each star is an astral spirit that must be well identified. The so-called recipes section of the VMS, which contains over 300 stars, it's really a kind of catalog, the zodiac catalog. The attached short 'text' is the way to find each of them.

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 21-04-2019

That's what I meant by "coordinates". That would describe their position in the sky, although typically they did this by drawing the constellations and adding stars to their locations. But if they wanted to add mathematical coordinates (which some did), it still wouldn't account for so many pages.

And then there are the plant folios. The only thing they really cared about was which celestial body governed the plant. If the plant info is related to the pics, that only takes one or two words.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 22-04-2019

It is true that in the labels you can identify a star with only one or two 'words' but in the running text, in the plant folios or in another section, it seems you need more. It's as if the text is in motion. You don't find the glyph (q) in labels and this symbol with its arrow shape express very well the movement. 
    Maybe in the running text the celestial sphere moves as if the days passed to better identify the star associated with the plant. Maybe it's for another reason.
  Anyway, something tells me that our way of reasoning is not the same as that of the people to whom the manuscript was addressed.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 24-04-2019

I just read that Leibniz accused his greatest rival Isaac Newton of occultism. For him the law of gravity was superstitious magic. When talking about invisible forces it seems that Newton still believed in natural magic, like Roger Bacon or Albertus Magnus centuries before.

It's funny how close science is to magic. We just have to think about quantum physics.
Well, I'm convinced that some of that magic is in the VMS and that the weird script is the way to call the invisible forces.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Paris - 25-04-2019

(24-04-2019, 04:54 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I just read that Leibniz accused his greatest rival Isaac Newton of occultism.

I don't think that Newton was interested in occultism.
He was interested, at a short time in his life, in hermeticism, and more precisely in alchemy.