The Voynich Ninja
[split] Color annotations? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: [split] Color annotations? (/thread-2364.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: [split] Color annotations? - Helmut Winkler - 10-06-2018

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: [split] Color annotations? - Davidsch - 12-06-2019

Hmm, did any one summ up the (amount of) colors used in the Voynich manuscript somewhere, I wonder?

RE: [split] Color annotations? - Koen G - 12-06-2019

(12-06-2019, 05:15 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Hmm, did any one summ up the (amount of) colors used in the Voynich manuscript somewhere, I wonder?

I gathered lots of data about this last year. I'm posting from my phone now, but I'll be able to share later.

One problem is that naming colors by sight is subjective. The color that passes for red in the VM is actually rusty brown. If you see it in a flower or berry it looks red but in a root it looks brown. Hence, colors need to be sampled with software.

Then the next problem is: where does one color end and another begin? If the same pigment appears in a very washed out and a very saturated form, how many colors are those? And how many shades are in between, and how many of those were meant as different colors?

RE: [split] Color annotations? - -JKP- - 12-06-2019

There is a great variety of shades of green that have been deliberately mixed/blended in the big-plants section. Sometimes several in a single plant.

When you say "sum up" do you mean the number of pigments in the base palette (black/tan/blue/red/pale amber/green/white) or the actual number of blended colors?

Even the ink has been watered down in places to create a lighter shade of black/brown. I say black/brown because gall ink (which is also used as a wash for drawings) is blackish when fresh but dries, over time, to various shades of brown depending on the  components.

RE: [split] Color annotations? - Koen G - 12-08-2019

Is there any chance at all that the letter on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is a "v" after all?

RE: [split] Color annotations? - -JKP- - 12-08-2019

Koen, this is only my opinion, but having looked at thousands and thousands of manuscripts, having read as many as I can find time for, and having spent more than a decade sampling medieval script, and with a professional background in calligraphy, I don't think it's a "v".

I don't think I've seen a single "v" that was consistently written that way, but there are many "r" letters written that way. It's a common style of r.

It's the same style of "r" used by the person who wrote the notes on 116v. It has a long serif, a straight stem and a slightly disconnected hook. The long stem and the disconnected hook are less common that other styles, but they are not rare. I see them fairly regularly.

In this time period, it was customary to loop the right stem of a v back toward the left side. I don't think I've ever seen one with a hook and a faint connection so far above the baseline.

RE: [split] Color annotations? - -JKP- - 12-08-2019

Okay, now that I finally get a bit of a break (three hours late, but better late than never), here are some samples so you can judge for yourself:

[Image: RandVSamples.png]

The hits are from many regions, ranging from England, France, and Germany, all the way south to Naples. Spain was included also. This style of writing was widely dispersed (which always amazes me, but I've learned that they were quick to adapt similar styles all over Europe).

RE: [split] Color annotations? - Koen G - 13-08-2019

Thanks JKP, that seems definitive.

Next question: is it possible that some of the rare colour annotations in the VM are ones that were for some reason missed by the painter and hence remained visible?

RE: [split] Color annotations? - -JKP- - 13-08-2019

What a great question. I never thought about that.

There are hints that the VMS was never finished (like the blank for the rubricated initial and the lack of "labels" in some of the small-plants folios), so it might be hard to judge. I'm sure it's possible that a painter could miss a few annotations but how would we know?

I guess it depends partly on whether the person making the annotations and the person painting were different people (which was usually the case in medieval studios, but this is the VMS). Assuming they were different people, it seems very likely that a small initial almost nearly hidden in a root could be missed.

RE: [split] Color annotations? - Common_Man - 13-08-2019

Some filling has been done in the area it seems, with faint yellow strokes..