The Voynich Ninja
[split] Color annotations? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: [split] Color annotations? (/thread-2364.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

[split] Color annotations? - Anton - 05-04-2018

Edit KG: I split this thread from one about f29r, but there was no elegant way to do this, hence the somewhat abrupt beginning.

I think this folio has been discussed, must have been lost in the "Coventry incident". I don't remember the details though.

Nice observation of "r", don't remember it from before.

Don't think it stands for "radix", it's pointless to mark a root as a root when everyone plainly sees that it's a root.

RE: f29r - ReneZ - 05-04-2018

(05-04-2018, 12:38 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Did you notice the "r" (possibly for "rot") in the root? I don't know if it has been pointed out by others, but it's quite clearly written even though it's very small.

Thanks!
I had not seen it before. I just added it to my You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: f29r - Koen G - 05-04-2018

I somehow assumed the r would be general knowledge- it's surprising how long such things go unnoticed.

If it's a color annotation I see a pattern emerge. Someone was not good with colors.

RE: f29r - Davidsch - 05-04-2018

I definitely do not see an r there, although I can understand it would be obvious to see "rot" here as a repeating pattern,
however, there are two strokes, the left stroke and the right together have the highest resemblance with the letter v at best. (assuming that the right stroke is the last stroke of the same letter). Not the VMS letter V, but the V from this period. 

If you compare these strokes with the best "rot" there is, on page 4r. You will quickly see the difference

[Image: letter%20strokes%20in%20images.jpg]

RE: f29r - Anton - 05-04-2018

(05-04-2018, 11:39 AM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.If it's a color annotation I see a pattern emerge. Someone was not good with colors.

... or someone just experienced lack of red paint. Wink

RE: f29r - Wladimir D - 05-04-2018

Compare with the "r" on page f20r.

RE: f29r - Anton - 05-04-2018

That looks much more like "p", not "r".

RE: f29r - -JKP- - 05-04-2018

(05-04-2018, 04:14 PM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Compare with the "r" on page f20r.

I'm not convinced that is an "r" on f20r. It might be, but it also might be a "p" (with an ink skip on the top). It was very common for the "p" to have a leading serif and round loop:

[Image: LetterPGothic.png]

RE: f29r - -JKP- - 05-04-2018

(05-04-2018, 03:41 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I definitely do not see an r there, although I can understand it would be obvious to see "rot" here as a repeating pattern,
however, there are two strokes, the left stroke and the right together have the highest resemblance with the letter v at best. (assuming that the right stroke is the last stroke of the same letter). Not the VMS letter V, but the V from this period. 

I see a typical Gothic Cursive "r" on f29r. The "r" written so that it almost looks like two strokes (so the strokes are separated) was very common in many areas. Scribes who wrote it that way also sometimes brought the two parts a little closer together and ALSO sometimes wrote other kind of "r", the kind that looks like a hump. When they wrote the "r" alone, or at the end of a word, they usually used the separated-stroke style. When it was in the middle of a word, they sometimes used the hump-style.

Here are some examples of the separated "r" from my paleo database. Note that it includes the "r" from 116v marginalia (at the bottom). Note also how these same scribes wrote the letter "v" (below):

[Image: CompareRandV.png]

RE: f29r - Helmut Winkler - 05-04-2018

Whatever that's worth, I also think that's an 'r' on 29r