The Voynich Ninja
[Text] word starting [q] must have a valid counterpart word starting [o] - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Tasks (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-28.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich tasks (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-32.html)
+---- Forum: Positions we can agree upon (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-53.html)
+---- Thread: [Text] word starting [q] must have a valid counterpart word starting [o] (/thread-2360.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: word starting [q] must have a valid counterpart word starting [o] - MarcoP - 05-04-2018

(05-04-2018, 08:51 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Get an average number based on different transcriptions. We know what we need so it's fairly easy to run the numbers across different transcriptions.
The scenario is q+[?^o] versus q+o.

Now, we don't know the percentage of writing errors  as nick pointed out recently. Ideally we should have all q+[?^o] options regularised in Eva so we can analyse them and discard transcription errors 

What I would like is to be able to discard the motion that this is a fixed bigraph.

These are counts based on the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (ZL), Takahashi (TT) and First Study Group (FSG) transcriptions (extracted with the ivtt software). ZL and TT are both EVA. I have manually converted FSG.

I hope I haven't made any major errors. In TT, I counted 131 q-NOT(o) occurrences: 2.4% of the total.

RE: word starting [q] must have a valid counterpart word starting [o] - ReneZ - 06-04-2018

Hi Marco,

at first sight the numbers do seem odd.
I will check from my side.

RE: word starting [q] must have a valid counterpart word starting [o] - ReneZ - 06-04-2018

I used three files:
- Takeshi as extracted from Stolfi's interlinear
- My latest version of Zandbergen-Landini
- GC's file converted to 'nearest Eva'.
I did the counts once for 'dot spaces' only (i.e. those of which the transcriber was certain) and also for all spaces (dot and comma spaces). The differences are relatively minor, and Takeshi has no comma spaces at all. I include a screen shot of an Excel table.

The differences are minor, and I assume that Marco used only 'dot spaces' to make his statistics.
The reduction in total words is evidently from comma spaces preceding occurrences of qo.

RE: word starting [q] must have a valid counterpart word starting [o] - MarcoP - 06-04-2018

Thank you, Rene!
I only considered dots as word breaks. My numbers for Takahashi's transcription are higher because they include occurrences of qX "inside" words. For instance, I included You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in the count.

RE: word starting [q] must have a valid counterpart word starting [o] - davidjackson - 23-04-2018

So are we in agreement that q not followed by o is less than 3% of the total in all transcriptions?
Because that is well within any possible transcription error rate. It's worth pointing out that in some Romance languages (French, Spanish) the qu rule is that the is mute (with exceptions).
Although come to think of it, in Spanish it is usually followed by the vowels e or i.
Does anyone have an analysis of the q?? trigram?

RE: word starting [q] must have a valid counterpart word starting [o] - MarcoP - 25-04-2018

(23-04-2018, 05:43 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.So are we in agreement that q not followed by o is less than 3% of the total in all transcriptions?
Because that is well within any possible transcription error rate. It's worth pointing out that in some Romance languages (French, Spanish) the qu rule is that the is mute (with exceptions).
Although come to think of it, in Spanish it is usually followed by the vowels e or i.
Does anyone have an analysis of the q?? trigram?

Hi David,
do you mean an analysis of q?? in the VMS or in Spanish? Or in all Romance languages?

An obvious difference is that Romance q- is always followed by 'u' and then a second vowel. There only are 5 possible combinations: qua que qui quo quu (the last one occurs in Latin, but not in Italian).

On the other hand, VMS repeating words contain these 23 different combinations (14 of which are of the qo- type):

qai qck qct qee qek qet qka qke qko qoa qoc qod qoe qof qoi qok qol qoo qop qor qos qot qoy

RE: word starting [q] must have a valid counterpart word starting [o] - Wladimir D - 25-04-2018

(25-04-2018, 08:03 AM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.On the other hand, VMS repeating words contain these 23 different combinations (14 of which are of the qo- type):

qai qck qct qee qek qet qka qke qko qoa qoc qod qoe qof qoi qok qol qoo qop qor qos qot qoy

Еhere is still a sequence of qoq (o) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. 13 lines, qyk (3 words), qyo (1 word) and possibly q ר p (3 word f80r)