The Voynich Ninja
f86v3: A bird and a Mountain. - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: f86v3: A bird and a Mountain. (/thread-2290.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: f86v3: A bird and a Mountain. - R. Sale - 14-10-2020

The bird in post #6 appears to be a phoenix because the fire serves as a signifier. And the central item appears to be a crucible.

The birds in post #3 appear to be another type. To paraphrase: Eagles, pelicans and phoenixizes, Oh my! 

I'll go with eagles on that one.

RE: f86v3: A bird and a Mountain. - davidjackson - 14-10-2020

No explanation of the bloke hiding behind the pillar and casting ??? into the air from his hands.
[Image: image.jpg?q=f86v3_5-1086-842-246-385]
Any explanation of the page has to take all 4 illustrations into account, they are obviously linked. I'm still going with winds.
As to whether the chicken scratches have anything to do with them is a different question...

The theme of four is repeated over and over again in illustrations in this section, in illustrations that have nothing obvious to do with one another. Medieval Europeans seemed to love "four concepts" - almost every sector of knowledge seems to have "four pillars". So that angle doesn't really help.

RE: f86v3: A bird and a Mountain. - Koen G - 14-10-2020

A couple of weeks ago I found another story that *kind of* might explain the composition of this page, but it is still a stretch so I haven't written about it yet.

The problem with birds is that they are so common in so many contexts, and the VM birds are fairly generic. If we are unable to interpret the full page, as David says, then our birds are "sitting" and "flying" respectively, which is not much to go on. And indeed, "four" is another aspect with so many possible explanations.

RE: f86v3: A bird and a Mountain. - Searcher - 14-10-2020

Excuse me for briefness.
AND WHEN THE DAYS OF You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. were drawing to a close, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a violent wind blowing, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. And there appeared to them parted tongues as of fire, which settled upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in foreign tongues, even as the Holy Spirit prompted them to speak. (Acts 2:1-5)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.:22
And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Matthew 3:15-17
As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
[Image: art-manuscript-various-shutterstock-edit...0776bi.jpg] [Image: 00349101.jpg] [Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSUGB8HMuAUd-xDhsFYC...Q&usqp=CAU]
1. Pentecost (descent of the Holy Spirit), folio 6R of Gospels of the painter Youhannès de Berkri (Vaspurakan), 1362 Armenian manuscript
2. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
3. Tarot card Ace of Cups.

RE: f86v3: A bird and a Mountain. - Aga Tentakulus - 15-10-2020

I personally do not believe in a religious background.
Since I am in a book of healing I think this is about nutrition. The struggle for grain. The rook where many things are already eating away at the sowing, and also before the harvest.
The corn stalks of the bird make me slit them.

PS: Maybe somebody noticed that I often have the examples from the same old book.

RE: f86v3: A bird and a Mountain. - Aga Tentakulus - 15-10-2020

For comparison to contribution 12 I take the image of f76v. The story tells me something about sowing and harvesting and further processing.

RE: f86v3: A bird and a Mountain. - Searcher - 15-10-2020

(15-10-2020, 06:38 AM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I personally do not believe in a religious background.
Since I am in a book of healing I think this is about nutrition. The struggle for grain. The rook where many things are already eating away at the sowing, and also before the harvest.
The corn stalks of the bird make me slit them.
It must not be religious in general, nevertheless religious, sacred signs presented almost everywhere in those times, as religion influenced all  aspects of the medieval life.
[Image: 3_KING_2-58962fde3df78caebcf781d9.jpg] [Image: cbc8233b0f82d534a3e13163c586376c.jpg]

RE: f86v3: A bird and a Mountain. - bi3mw - 15-10-2020

At first I thought a bird "in a nosedive" was an exclusive motif for the Holy Spirit. But that seems not to be the case. Here is an example:

osprey diving for fish

British Library, Royal MS 13 B VIII, c. 1196-c. 1223, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: f86v3: A bird and a Mountain. - Koen G - 15-10-2020

There is also "Vultur Cadens" in constellation imagery, but it is surprisingly rare to see it or Aquila depicted while diving. 

I would personally focus on "in flight" rather than nosediving though. Compared to the orientation of all other elements on the page, a diving interpretation seems unlikely.

RE: f86v3: A bird and a Mountain. - bi3mw - 15-10-2020

Yeah, the bird would be kind of isolated. I think that the (male ? ) figures on the left side should be related to the birds on the right side. It looks as if the upper bird on the left side is related to the figure on the bottom right. The bird in the nest would therefore be connected ("crossed") with the figure on the upper left.