The Voynich Ninja
[split] The Strange Thing on 116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: [split] The Strange Thing on 116v (/thread-2163.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: [split] The Strange Thing on 116v - davidjackson - 02-02-2018

Morten, please note that You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. or insulting comments are prohibited on this forum. This includes disrespect to the good name of Yale university and the Beineicke library. Please refrain from either insinuating bad faith on anybody's behalf, or using insulting adjectives of any nature when referring to a third party. I have edited your post above - please consider yourself warned and be aware that future repetition of such behaviour is reason for a ban to be levied.

RE: [split] The Strange Thing on 116v - -JKP- - 02-02-2018

Quote:Morten St George: My scan of the VMS is of poor quality. Enlargement to better distinguish the writing quickly turns into blur. These days, teenage kids can make better resolution scans than that. I checked out purchasing the facsimile book but reader reviews say the resolution is equally bad.

Which scans are you using? The Voynich Manuscript is a very small manuscript, about the size of a trade paperback. What we see is actually more clear than what one sees in real life without additional aids such as magnifying glasses and microsopes.

Before you start disparaging the Beinecke Library, perhaps we should figure out whether you are looking at the high-res scans.

RE: [split] The Strange Thing on 116v - -JKP- - 02-02-2018

Quote:Morten St George: I agree with much of what you say but do not think it should apply to items that can be fairly considered part of the cultural heritage of humankind. Such items belong to all of us.

Ancient gold coins are also part of the cultural heritage of mankind. Are coin collectors obliged to share them with us?

It costs money to create scans and many libraries are struggling these days to maintain enough income to hire employees (and to properly store the more valuable assets). Perhaps if you gave a donation to Beinecke Library they could arrange for higher-quality scans.

RE: [split] The Strange Thing on 116v - Morten St. George - 03-02-2018

(02-02-2018, 10:33 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Quote:Morten St George: My scan of the VMS is of poor quality. Enlargement to better distinguish the writing quickly turns into blur. These days, teenage kids can make better resolution scans than that. I checked out purchasing the facsimile book but reader reviews say the resolution is equally bad.

Which scans are you using? The Voynich Manuscript is a very small manuscript, about the size of a trade paperback. What we see is actually more clear than what one sees in real life without additional aids such as magnifying glasses and microsopes.

Before you start disparaging the Beinecke Library, perhaps we should figure out whether you are looking at the high-res scans.

I am looking at a PDF file that I downloaded a few years ago. If now a better resolution is available, please let me know where to find it. Thanks.

RE: [split] The Strange Thing on 116v - -JKP- - 03-02-2018

I'm not sure which PDF that would be, but take a look at the hires .tif files on this page and see if they are better:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

(03-02-2018, 05:33 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I'm not sure which PDF that would be, but take a look at the hires .tif files on this page and see if they are better:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Thanks JKP. These might be a little better for reading text and I have downloaded a few of them. But I am still seeing a tapir on page 102r2v.

BTW, the website voynich.nu (to which I was referred in an email from the Beinecke Library) claims that the hole on page 102r2v is a "frog", so I am not the only one who is seeing things!

RE: [split] The Strange Thing on 116v - davidjackson - 03-02-2018

The frog on 102r2v is here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

(03-02-2018, 07:55 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The frog on 102r2v is here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

David,

We have already gone over all of that and I am no longer claiming that there is a drawing of a tapir in the VMS. I have updated my web page to say that it is a "cut-out" giving the "optical illusion" of being a tapir. The source of the depicted vials, if not a tapir, could be wood carvings. I see that people on Youtube are claiming that the vials are microscopes and hence the VMS is a forgery but I'm not buying that.

Since my tapir has been shot down, I have added just below that on my web page the VMS depiction of fish and a photograph of the Arapaima fish of the Amazon Basin. Later, I might also add more rainforest depictions, such as those of blue rainwater (contrasted with green, plant-infested swamp water) flowing down the trees and into barrels for drinking and washing.

RE: [split] The Strange Thing on 116v - Koen G - 03-02-2018

Microscope theories could have been argued to make some sense before the vellum had been carbon dated, and indeed they do stem from the early days. But since now we have a reliable dating of the manuscript to the early 15th century, microscopes are no longer part of mainstream debate.

RE: [split] The Strange Thing on 116v - -JKP- - 01-03-2018

[Image: U_34_195508773289_tacuinumsanitatis_kochen26.jpg]

From Tacuinum Sanitatus