The Voynich Ninja
[split] The Strange Thing on 116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: [split] The Strange Thing on 116v (/thread-2163.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

[split] The Strange Thing on 116v - bi3mw - 29-10-2017

Looking at the "strange thing" on folio 116v, I wonder if maybe an oven is shown. The side view of an oven is illustrated in the Washington Haggadah ( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  ). Matzo is baked, a bread made from unleavened dough. Eating this bread, as well as eating  an "immaculate" lamb all up, is part of the Passover Seder in Judaism ( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. , Yehuda, Rothschild Haggadah, Northern Italy, c. 1450 ).

In the Christian tradition it was ( and still is ) customary to make different bakery products at Easter, but there is no fixed recipe. Accordingly diverse are these products. In German-speaking regions for example, there are many regional (early modern high German) names for this (ger.) "Gebildbrot": greding, gredmich, gredman or gredling....

Easter lambs were still slaughtered in the late Middle Ages, but mostly in the Greek Orthodox Tradition. - Illustrations of the Bible also show the preparation of a lamb ( see image no. 3, Historien Bibel, Germany, between 1375 and 1400, MS M.268, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  ). These ovens have no similarity to "the thing" on f116v.

[Image: pessach.png]

Edit: The man on image no. 2 has a prominent goiter caused by iodine deficiency. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  is an explanation ( Kohn, Rachael,  The Washington Haggadah by Joel ben Simeon: a Fifteenth Century Manuscript from the Library of Congress, The Australian Journal of Jewish Studies,  January 1, 2012 ).

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 30-10-2017

I'm glad you can see something different in that drawing than I keep seeing. It looks so phallic to me. It doesn't end at the part where there's a hole in the parchment, it continues up beyond that, but perhaps even that might relate to an oven, since some of them have tall chimneys directly attached (especially the outdoor kind).

RE: 116v - Koen G - 30-10-2017

I just keep seeing a weird upside down nymph leg, with the toes on top and a bone poking through in the bottom. Like some kind of very basic anatomical diagram.

RE: 116v - bi3mw - 30-10-2017

@JKP: Yes, the chimmey is one element which leads me to my assumption.

@Koen:  Well, I think my brain seems a bit more straightfforward. Smile Sometimes it just wants to work like this:

[Image: recognition.png]

...... and back to the side view of the oven in the Washington Haggadah ( see You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  ).

(30-10-2017, 04:51 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@JKP: Yes, the chimmey is one element which leads me to my assumption.

@Koen:  Well, I think my brain seems a bit more straightfforward. Smile Sometimes it just wants to work like this:

[Image: recognition.png]

...... and back to the side view of the oven in the Washington Haggadah ( see You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  ).

I interpreted the top part differently. I notice you have a narrower upper "chimney". I saw it as fatter with a half-curve drawn within it.

It's hard to see clearly, but it looks like "ror" to the left.

RE: 116v - Koen G - 30-10-2017

I agree with JKP's comment on the top part. Also, it seems crucial that the bottom part (the scrotum like thing) coninues into the "door" of the oven. Your "scrotum" looks too narrow where it is attached to the base.

(30-10-2017, 05:00 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....
I interpreted the top part differently. I notice you have a narrower upper "chimney". I saw it as fatter with a half-curve drawn within it.

It's hard to see clearly, but it looks like "ror" to the left.

I am not sure if I understood you correctly, but on the top left ("in the smoke") I also saw something strange when filtering the contours :

[Image: letters01.png]
Huh

Edit: @Koen, I think the "scrotum" is the attached shelf for the bread. That's just a lack of perspective. In the correct front view, only the edge would be visible.

Here's what I see. I've lightened the parts outside the basic shape and haven't touched anything else...

Unfortunately, I did not save the filter settings, but the rest of the vertical line is interesting. I'll reproduce that later, let's see what comes out of it.

RE: 116v - VViews - 31-10-2017

As pointed out by Anton, the digestive system of goats offers a very compelling match:

[Image: IMG_20140610_125111.jpg][Image: 4chamber.jpg]