The Voynich Ninja
[Imagery] There are 131 large plant folios in the Voynich Manuscript - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Tasks (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-28.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich tasks (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-32.html)
+---- Forum: Positions we can agree upon (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-53.html)
+----- Forum: Approved blocks (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-54.html)
+----- Thread: [Imagery] There are 131 large plant folios in the Voynich Manuscript (/thread-2156.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 131 large plant folios in the Voynich Manuscript - VViews - 26-10-2017

There are 129 full-page plant illustration pages, aka Large Plant pages) in the Voynich Manuscript.

These are as follows:
Quire 1-7:
on f1v-56v (109 illustrations, f12 is missing)
Quire 8:
on 57r, 65r & v, 66v (4 illustrations)
Quire 15:
on 87r & v; 90r1, r2, v1, v2 (6 illustrations)
Quire 17:
on 93r-96v (10 illustrations)

Among these, there are a few instances where two plants are depicted on a single page.
These are:
f27r, f40v, f42r, f43v, f87v.
There is also the ambiguous f35v, which could be two plants, or one.
Another way of looking at this total then, is to say there are 134 large plants depicted in the Voynich Manuscript (or 135 if we count You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. as two plants).
But it is unclear to me whether some of these pages that show two plants are meant to depict two stages of growth of the same plant or two distinct plants.

RE: There are 131 large plant folios in the Voynich Manuscript - MarcoP - 27-10-2017

Hi VViews,
if I understand correctly, a folio includes both recto and verso. Maybe the word "page" would be OK here? Or does one have to say "folio side" or something like that?

RE: There are 131 large plant folios in the Voynich Manuscript - VViews - 27-10-2017

You are correct.
Shall we say then, there are 131 pages of Large Plant illustrations in the Voynich Manuscript?
Or should we skirt this issue by using the secondary count and saying, there are 136 Large Plants depicted in the Voynich?
As I mentioned above this has its problems too.
I welcome your comments on this, and hope other posters will contribute their preferred wording as well.

RE: There are 131 large plant folios in the Voynich Manuscript - Koen G - 27-10-2017

I think "page" is perfectly clear.

By the way, I'm looking forward to the number of human figures - the original thread got somewhat confusing.

RE: There are 131 large plant folios in the Voynich Manuscript - davidjackson - 27-10-2017

Page is the correct terminology. Remember that technically a folio would comprise 4 pages, not two.

It may be better to state three positions instead of the two you mention:

136 large plants depicted across manuscript
131 pages contain single depictions of large plants
5 pages contain double depictions of large plants

RE: There are 131 large plant folios in the Voynich Manuscript - VViews - 28-10-2017

Thanks davidjackson,
However please allow me to make a slight correction to your statement:

There are 131 pages of large plant illustrations in the Voynich Manuscript.
Among these,
126 pages show a single large  plant.
5 pages contain two depictions of large plants.
Which gives us a total of 136 large plants across the Voynich Manuscript.

Koen Gh,
I'll post the poll about the human figures later today. I was hoping to get the more straightforward polls out of the way first before getting into the rest.

And to all:
I have made it so that the current polls are only open for 7 days, because these counts are so basic and straightforward.
Please vote or comment!

ETA: I have edited my OP, replacing the word "folio" with the word "page"

RE: There are 131 large plant folios in the Voynich Manuscript - davidjackson - 28-10-2017

Vviews, my apologies! 
Btw, I'm not going to vote on any of these counting threads, for the simple reason that I haven't personally counted them. Instead, I am happy to abide by the decision of the majority. And thank you for posting them.

RE: There are 131 large plant folios in the Voynich Manuscript - Anton - 01-11-2017

Quote:I have made it so that the current polls are only open for 7 days, because these counts are so basic and straightforward.

We have a rule for three weeks' time, I would suggest to keep it. Actually the idea behind that has been not to provide a large span of time for voting per se, but to account for periods of possible inactivity of some voters on the forum (like one is on vacation and all that).

RE: There are 131 large plant folios in the Voynich Manuscript - Anton - 01-11-2017

Quote:Btw, I'm not going to vote on any of these counting threads, for the simple reason that I haven't personally counted them. Instead, I am happy to abide by the decision of the majority

Well, if everybody acts that way, then the "majority" will convolute itself to VViews alone Big Grin 

Counting objects is an error-prone task, so it's better to check this independently. I remember that when we initially talked about stars some months ago, we had some discrepancies between my count and VViews'.

RE: There are 131 large plant folios in the Voynich Manuscript - Koen G - 01-11-2017

As soon as two counters agree, it seems safe to assume the count is correct.