The Voynich Ninja
[Panel Session] Cryptologic History panel Oct. 19, 2017 - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Panel Session] Cryptologic History panel Oct. 19, 2017 (/thread-2138.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Cryptologic History panel Oct. 19, 2017 - -JKP- - 07-12-2017

It's a quadruple crayfish and all of the zodiac symbols in the BNF manuscripts are in multiples, not just the crayfish—it's quite different from the VMS. There are 6 and 8 of some of them (Aries has 8, Pisces has 6). Each one is mirrored (except Gemini) and the rest are added as decorative elements to enhance a large swath of landscape.

I really get nervous when things start moving out of context. This thread is about a fraud manuscript and my example was specific to this thread. In the context of a fraud or fake manuscript, adding extra things in a way that no one else does (no one else has created a pair of crayfish in a zodiac series of which the others are not mirrored) not only adds extra work but it could be a flag that the manuscript is "different" or "weird" and those who create fakes don't usually want to go too far off the beaten path because they don't want it to be examined too closely.

RE: Cryptologic History panel Oct. 19, 2017 - davidjackson - 07-12-2017

I'd also point out that Marco mentioned this manuscript elsewhere today independently - funny how these things work out!

RE: Cryptologic History panel Oct. 19, 2017 - Paris - 07-12-2017

(07-12-2017, 05:06 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.(c.1455) shows a double crayfish (no line between them) in its calendar.

Davidjackson, are you sure this painting is regarding Cancer ?

In my point of view, it concerns Gemini.
I can't read all the names of the saints but most of them.
We can read, for instance :
Boniface : June 5th
Félicien : June 9th
Landry : June 10th
Barnabé : June 11th
Basilide : June 12th

Gemini = May 21st - June 20th

So, if it's really the good astrological sign (gemini), it's logical to sea double crayfish or double any other animal..

RE: Cryptologic History panel Oct. 19, 2017 - davidjackson - 07-12-2017

Your observation is correct - as indicated by the aide memoire title which reads "June has 30 days and the moon 29". There are two pages dedicated to June.
Cancer starts in the middle of June, and hence appears in the illustration for this month. If we look at the previous page for May, we see it illustrated with the Twins, because they start in May.
The month is associated with the sign that starts in it, not the one that ends in it.

The illustrative duplication which you can see on some folios appears to be nothing more than an attempt to depict the day and night aspect of each zodiacal sign (domus or domicilia). The influence of the sign on human events is magnified when the zodiac is passing through the constellation connected with each aspect. You will notice that each duplication is a mirror of the other: ie one set of crayfish are in a sunny meadow facing away from one another, the other pair in a dark ditch facing towards each other. Taurus has one bull sitting down, then another standing up in the opposite direction. One set of goats sitting down in peace, then facing down a flock of angry rivals. Etc.

This explanation does not explain why the illustrator felt it necessary to draw two crayfish - he has done something similar with other zodiacal signs without resorting to duplication of the signs. I don't know why he's double up on the prawns.

RE: Cryptologic History panel Oct. 19, 2017 - -JKP- - 28-12-2017

Of general interest... history of spectacles (and I think we can assume lenses were invented before spectacles):

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Also, "reading stones" (basically a lens without a container):

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Apropos this thread, it may be that reading tubes existed between the time that reading lenses and spectacles were invented.