The Voynich Ninja
f34v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: f34v (/thread-2038.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: f34v - bi3mw - 14-02-2020

(14-02-2020, 07:22 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Also, the root could be the hermaphrodite, since it is described as merging.

[Image: msferguson6_p165.jpg]
MS Ferguson 6

It is therefore quite conceivable that the root is represented as hermaphrodites. Also in the form of a king and queen standing beside each other. That would be just another variation.

[Image: 9a60575a8b0cd413ea7d1ad2dc7bc9b8.jpg]
Johann Daniel Mylius, Philosophia Reformata, 1622, Arbor Argentum (right)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: f34v - Searcher - 14-02-2020

(14-02-2020, 05:59 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Sherwood's identification seems the most conclusive of all to me.

It should be noted that Lunaria annua occasionally shows brownish leaves in the late growth stage.
If you find the idea that You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. represents Lunaria annua, I'll leave here links to my posts on this theme, as I also quite sure it is Lunaria.
I just found that we have so many posts about You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in different threads, so it was not so easy to gather all my points about You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. concerning resemblance of it to Lunaria.

RE: f34v - bi3mw - 14-02-2020

(14-02-2020, 10:38 PM)Searcher Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.....

Thank you @searcher, the "lion - root" is an interesting approach.

RE: f34v - Monica Yokubinas - 14-02-2020

"Hartwort (Tordylium spp.) genus of wild plants, used in Greece in drugs and medicinal wines and also as pot herbs and culinary herbs. Tordylium Apulum, small hartwort, is said to be still used for food in Greece. According to Aristotle, a deer will find and eat hartwort immediately after giving birth to young."

The plant on 34v is a Hartwort, deer are a description in the root system to give meaning.

RE: f34v - -JKP- - 15-02-2020

bi3mw, yes, the Lunaria with sun and moon combined in one plant that you posted in Post #31 is exactly what I had in mind.

Good example because it not only has the mythical-lunaria form, and the sun and moon together in one plant (frequently they are shown as two plants flanking the hermaphrodite rather than being combined), but it is also shown together with the hermaphrodite which, in the VMS, might be further combined into one image by being in the root.

RE: f34v - bi3mw - 15-02-2020

(15-02-2020, 04:17 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.(frequently they are shown as two plants flanking the hermaphrodite rather than being combined)
Yes, there is already an illustration of this representation in the "Book of the Holy Trinity" (1471).

HAB, Cod. Guelf. 188 Blank., Ulmannus, Buch der Heiligen Dreifaltigkeit, 1471, folio 96r

I have not yet found an older version of the combined representation than the one in the Philosophia Reformata (1622). It is very likely, however, that this motif was also depicted much earlier.

RE: f34v - Aga Tentakulus - 16-02-2020

Nice book bi3, on page 00244 he writes something about clouds.

Look at the picture

RE: f34v - Koen G - 20-10-2021

Does anyone know if any of the medieval sources include vernacular names for lunaria? I find this a bit confusing since the plant seems to live a life of its own in more alchemy-oriented traditions. What I would like to learn is whether medieval names already included references to coins, specifically those of Judas, e.g. Silbertaler, Silberling, Judaspfennig, Médaille de Judas etc.

One might assume that religiously inspired names are medieval in origin, but sometimes they are surprisingly recent, so it is worth double checking.

RE: f34v - bi3mw - 20-10-2021

(20-10-2021, 12:09 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Does anyone know if any of the medieval sources include vernacular names for lunaria?
As far as I know, there are two types of Lunaria. There is on the one hand the biennial, variant ( Lunaria annua ), which grows today mainly in gardens. On the other hand there is the wild, perennial species ( Lunaria rediviva ). I would speculate that in the Middle Ages the Lunaria rediviva was more widespread. So probably this species was meant when for example a Lunaria was depicted in a manuscript. But this is, as said, a speculation. Against it speaks that the naming listed by you (Silbertaler, Silberling, Judaspfennig  ...) probably rather refers to the Lunaria annua.

RE: f34v - Koen G - 20-10-2021

Not necessarily. In Dutch, the most common names are tuinjudaspenning and wilde judaspenning respectively for the garden (tuin) and wild varieties. Wiki: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.