The Voynich Ninja
A possible source for the "modern italian copy" - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: A possible source for the "modern italian copy" (/thread-2036.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: A possible source for the "modern italian copy" - Barbrey - 30-07-2021

I thought I would rule out the Freemason connection.  It doesn't look like the typical one at all really but I also don't know the conventions and variations, if any, they might have had.  So I've asked the Freemason Museum in London to have a quick look.

RE: A possible source for the "modern italian copy" - cvetkakocj@rogers.com - 14-08-2021

I have to share my ideas about the copy of the 17th century copy of the VM page. When I first saw the VK, I thought I recognized the plant, not as a real plant, but as a possible illustration of the legend circulation in the vicinity of my hometown in Slovenia and written down in the 18th century by Slovenian writer who seems to be researching Rosicrucian movement in literature. The central message of the legend: whoever has with him three seeds of the fern on the shortest night of the year (summer solstice), he can hear what the animals talk and see how the grass grows. I interpreted that legend as some kind of imaginative tale related to strange Slovenian tradition of strewing dried fern on the house floor on St. John the Baptist Day, so that when the Saint visits, he can sleep on soft fern.
We all knew fern has no flowers and no visible seeds.
Recently, I watched a video on You Tube in which the author claimed the VM is written in the gentle language of flowers. Following my intuition, I decided to read  Gabriel Rossete's book from the 17th century in which he explained how Dante Alighieri used secret language, including flowers, for criticizing the medieval church.
What does that have to do with the VM copy?  They both appeared in the 17th century, when general public was informed about the secret language used by the sectarian writers (the adherents of Bogomils, Paterens, Cathars - Rosseti calls them Tartars.) I believe the author of the VM was a 15th century sympathizer of the Waldensian/Bogomil ideas who expressed his political ideas with strange flowers.
Perhaps somebody who had a chance to see VM in the Jesuit monastery copied the picture at the time when Rosicrucians came out of hiding and openly practiced magic.
How could Jesuits get hold of the VM? In Slovenia, Carthusian monasteries embraced Protestantism, and they were closed by the Counter-Reformation. Their property was given to Jesuits.
Does anybody know how VM came from Prague to Rome?

I know this is a lot to 'digest'. I am still working on the VM and Waldensian/Rosicrucian connection.

RE: A possible source for the "modern italian copy" - Anton - 14-08-2021

(14-08-2021, 08:15 PM)cvetkakocj@rogers.com Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Does anybody know how VM came from Prague to Rome?

It was sent to Kircher by Marci in the year 1665.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.