The Voynich Ninja
Interesting Vwords - xkccdg - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Interesting Vwords - xkccdg (/thread-2028.html)

Interesting Vwords - xkccdg - -JKP- - 31-07-2017

Pardon me for departing from EVA, but there are some reasons why I prefer a different system. It's similar, and not difficult to adapt to and I use it for a number of reasons.

I prefer using "x" rather than "l" (ell) for EVA-l because the VMS glyph is not an ascender and writing it with x preserves the upper-lower-case balance and makes it easier to distinguish from the number 1 (especially in certain fonts). I also prefer using "c" for the glyph that looks like "c" and not using "e". I use "g" to represent EVA-y. I would prefer to use the number 9, because that's what the glyph is based on, but it's hard to write it with a descender (to subscript it), so I use "g". I go back and forth between using d or 8 for EVA-d. I'm comfortable with either one. I think 8 looks more like the actual VMS glyph.

So, I write EVA-lkeedy lkeedy as xkccdg or as xkcc8g.  (Bummer, I have to fix everything, I didn't realize the EVA capital letters were benched.)

Now, to the subject of this thread, which is Vwords with interesting characteristics... let's look at lkeedy...

lkeedy doesn't appear on the first 75 folios. It begins on f76r, which is a dense-text page with column text, after some of the green-pool pages. It's buried unobtrusively in the first big chunk of text and the second-to-last.
  • In the first instance, its neighbors are common general-purpose words (those that appear frequently in all sections, or almost all sections) and one word that is common to the plant and pool pages. This is not common, however. It's one of the few places where it keeps company with general-purpose vords.
  • In the second instance, all its neighbors are plant/pool vords. In other words, even though these two instances are on the same folio, they are wedged between neighbors that function differently.
lkeedy shows up next on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (nymph with "douche bag").
  • It's buried in the fourth paragraph and has entirely different neighbors this time, a couple of words that are almost exclusive to pool pages.
Next is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (the one with nymphs and "parasols").
  • It's in the last paragraph at the end of a line, following several plant/pool vords.
Next is f82r, the "mummy nymph" page.
  • It's buried in the second paragraph in company with pool vords and plant/pool vords.

Then there's a jump. It passes over the small-plant pages and shows up on the first page of dense starred text, about halfway down at the end of the line, in company with plant and plant-pool vords. From then on it shows up once on most of the first-half of the starred-text pages, usually in the company of plant vords or plant/pool vords... until you get to the 11th starred-text page and then the neighbors are a little more varied.. By "neighbors" I am referring to vords that come directly before and after (usually three or four of them in total).

***On 108v, starred-text, the pattern of one-instance per folio changes to multiple instances per folio:
  • On 108v, it shows up three times in the first short paragraph, and twice in the second, longer paragraph, still in the company of plant/pool vords.
    Subsequently, there are numerous instances and the neighboring vords are unusually varied. Something has changed. Near the end, it reverts back to one instance per page.
So what we have is an interesting vord that is not found on the big-plant, zodiac, cosmology or small-plant pages, but for most of the instances in which it is found, it shows up once-per-folio directly next to other vords that are mostly on the pool and plant/pool pages. It does not like to be next to pure zodiac or cosmology words and, surprisingly, is rarely next to the common general-purpose words.

It breaks this pattern halfway through the starred-text pages and suddenly shows up not just multiple times per folio, but multiple times per paragraph and starts keeping company with vords that are more varied.

What changed?
  • Is there a change of subject matter halfway through the starred-text pages?
  • Or is it possible that whatever the vord lkeedysignifies is dealt with in more detail on the pages where it becomes more frequent?
  • Or did the system for laying down the VMS text suddenly change halfway through the starred-text pages?
  • If it has any linguistic significance, what kind of word that is not a general-purpose word would enjoy the company of plant/pool and pool vords and mostly avoid being next to others?

RE: Interesting Vwords - xkccdg - Emma May Smith - 31-07-2017

The apparent jump in the Stars section may not be real. There are two things to consider.

1) The bottom half of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is odd in many ways. It doesn't keep with many known patterns.
2) A whole bifolio is then missing until we get to f111r. We don't know what might be in those pages, nor how common certain words were on them. (It is possible, considering point 1), that there was something interesting about this page which caused its removal, though most likely not.)

However, that said, I think it entirely possible that the Star section is organized thematically, with certain topics (and thus words) clustering near one another. This is an interesting research project for somebody, I'm sure.

RE: Interesting Vwords - xkccdg - MarcoP - 31-07-2017

Thank you, JKP. That's a word I never examined.

I think it's interesting to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. its distribution (blue) to that of olkeedy (pink) - variants with more elaborate prefixes in yellow.

My count gives these results:
lkeedy occurs 40 times, 32 of which (80%) follow y
olkeedy occurs 42 times, 12 of which (29%) follow y

olkeedy also seems to appear as a "nymph label" in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Another observation is that You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. qokeedy (a much more common word) correlates with both lkeedy and olkeedy: 69% of the pages that contain qokeedy also contain at least one of lkeedy / olkeedy

The two words sequence  qokeedy.olkeedy occurs three times (79v, 112r, 112v).
olkeedy.qokeedy occurs twice (f82v, f113r)
lkeedy.qokeedy occurs once (f112v)

RE: Interesting Vwords - xkccdg - Emma May Smith - 31-07-2017

(31-07-2017, 07:17 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.My count gives these results:

Hey, I recognize that pattern!

I suppose it raises the questions of:

a) whether lkeedy can be considered apart from olkeedy; and,
b) if their distributions differ, can that be assigned to the differing distribution of words ending y?

RE: Interesting Vwords - xkccdg - nickpelling - 31-07-2017

(31-07-2017, 08:30 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I suppose it raises the questions of:

a) whether lkeedy can be considered apart from olkeedy;

EVA l- words predominantly appear (as I recall) in Q13, giving rise to the question as to whether l- in Bio B pages functions the same as ol- elsewhere.

RE: Interesting Vwords - xkccdg - MarcoP - 31-07-2017

(31-07-2017, 08:30 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(31-07-2017, 07:17 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.My count gives these results:

Hey, I recognize that pattern!

I suppose it raises the questions of:

a) whether lkeedy can be considered apart from olkeedy; and,
b) if their distributions differ, can that be assigned to the differing distribution of words ending y?

I agree! This does look like the kind of phonetic transformation you have discussed on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

a) I believe that the numbers above suggest that lkeedy and olkeedy are related. To add some detail:

Only 4 characters occur before lkeedy:
d: once
o: 3 times
l: 4 times
y: 32 times
lkeedy never is line-initial

7 characters appear before olkeedy:
k: once
o: once
s: twice
l: 5 times
r: 6 times
n: 11 times
y: 12 times
3 occurrences of olkeedy are line-initial 
1 is a label

46% of the folios (counting both sides) that contain lkeedy also contain olkeedy.
The two words seem to share the same "macro-context" but to behave differently on the basis of the local-context (line position / preceding word ending).

b)
lkeedy - quire13: 5 occurrences / quire20: 32 occurrences
olkeedy - quire13: 17 occurrences  / quire20: 17 occurrences

[Edit: since only the number of lkeedy varies between q13 and q20, this doesn't seem to depend on the distribution of -y]

The predominance of lkeedy in quire20 is largely due to the single page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., which counts 14 occurrences (11 of which follow -y). Could it just be that the page contains a number of similar expressions?