The Voynich Ninja
[Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Library and Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Codicology and Paleography (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-48.html)
+--- Thread: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium (/thread-1888.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - -JKP- - 16-05-2017

(16-05-2017, 02:11 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Haha, I love these anecdotes...

I do too. Big kudos to Marco for sharing his translations. As much as I enjoy doing it, I don't have time right now to slog through the text, so I doubly appreciate it.

RE: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - Helmut Winkler - 17-05-2017

f. 96v
Item dicit Diascorides quod si aciperis de hac herba . tria folia . et posueris uel consue[???] inter uestes alicuius . quod uirga eius non poterit erigere.
ad cognoscendum inimicum tuum Item dicit Diascorides quod si de hac herba in sancto soline baut[???] colligeris et ad mensam posueris . si aliquis inimicus tuus ibi fuerit . non manducabit dum ibi steterit  illa herba.

I tried to find a source for the Ps.Dioscuridess but have not been successful as well, the real thing is Dioscurides I 10.  There is another cat story in gart der gesuntheit, cap. 415, but that is later of course

RE: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - Koen G - 18-05-2017

Latin translation attempt - I also add the rubricated line that precedes this bit.

To turn men into Eunuchs: Diascorides also says that if you take three leaves of this herb and put them in someone's clothes, that the person won't be able to "lift his rod". 
To know your enemies: Diascorides also says that if you pick this herb from holy ground and put it on the table, that if any of your enemies were present, they would not be able to chew while the herb remained there.

What I love about this is that they are so casual about it. The rubricated parts are like, use this herb to...
* To cure a headache.
* To cure constipation
* To reveal your enemies
* To cure stomach ache
* To make someone impotent
etc

RE: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - Diane - 18-05-2017

Just idle curiosity, but a question for Marco, Rene, Koen - or any member who happens to know.

Rene is right in saying that it would be unexpected to find in 14thC Latin Europe a translation into Latin of Theophrastus' recognised works.  The Latin translation circulated by Renaissance literati and bibliophiles had been made by Theodore of Gaza.

The question which interests me is where Theodore got the source-text he used for that translation, and the language in which it was written.  Given Theodore's background it could have been in Greek, or in Syriac perhaps. Certainly in Arabic. 

And do we know if the copies Theodore worked from remained in the Vatican library? Have they been identified? If so, how old are they?

Just idle curiosity, so if we have no answers to those questions, it doesn't matter.