The Voynich Ninja
[Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Library and Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Codicology and Paleography (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-48.html)
+--- Thread: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium (/thread-1888.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - ReneZ - 11-05-2017

(10-05-2017, 08:53 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.When going over "feminine" herbs, I was able to match most to a list found here:

Pseudo-Dioscorides' "Ex Herbis Femininis" and Early Medieval Medical Botany 
Author(s): John M. Riddle 
Source: Journal of the History of Biology, Vol. 14, No. 1 (Spring, 1981), pp. 43-81 
Published by: Springer 
Stable URL: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. 

I can recommend you to read the entire paper. It has valuable information on the problems of identifying herbs from old herbal illustrations.

I have done the same exercise, not only by looking at the names, but also by comparing with other manuscripts that include these two herbal traditions. I only briefly summarised it You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  .

Going by your two lists:

41v pontafilos, trifolia   -> I could not match this to any herb (yet)
44v bouiantos              -> same problem
46r inantes?                  -> this is nr. 26 Melena
46v text missing?          -> the one at the top is out of sequence: 57 Delfion. The one at the bottom could be 69 Lachnis (*)
49r romoys                   -> this is 33 Aizos
50v loniasos                  -> this is 40 Ficios / hecios
53v papau? agste? frias? -> papaver agreste, this is 46 Moecon
61v gelocia                     -> was discussed elsewhere (gelosia / galesia) and is not part of "Ex Herbis".

Note (*): it looks like the illustration of Lachnis in Plut. 73.41.

Plants from Riddle's "feminine plant list" which I have not assigned are the following:
13. Sticas       -> yes, missing
26. melena     -> 46r bottom
33. aizos         -> 49r bottom
40. ficios, hecios, alcidiabios -> 50v bottom
46. moecon    -> 53v
69. Lachnis     -> 46v bottom (perhaps)
70. Abrotonum   -> missing
71. aparine, filantropos  -> missing

I also did not find 68 Sion.

Once I figure out how to get data from my Excel files between spoiler tags, I will include both lists for Pseudo Apuleius and Ex Herbis.

RE: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - Koen G - 11-05-2017

I can't check the scans now but I wrote sion.fol 57v.

RE: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - -JKP- - 11-05-2017

I wish I weren't so swamped with work right now... I'm pretty sure I have information on some of these. Undecided

RE: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - ReneZ - 11-05-2017

(11-05-2017, 06:33 AM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I can't check the scans now but I wrote sion.fol 57v.

You're right, there are three herbs there and I only included the first two.

So here goes the full list, including also the two Florence Plutei manuscripts for reference.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Here goes for the Pseudo-Apuleius sequence, same principle.
The numbers a from Howald and Sigerist.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - Koen G - 11-05-2017

Wonderful, thanks Rene!

I think "12. Artemisia Leptofillos" is on f4v, you can see the name just under the bottom red line.
And "72. Verbascum" is on 23r, Barbascus.

The Artemisia looks right, but the problem with the Verbascum is that it does not look *at all*  like the standard Verbascum. The latter is best described as a brown cactus.

It could be a mistake by the artist, which is also something that happens from time to time.

The Verbascum in Kassel MS: 2° Ms. phys. et hist. nat. 10 ( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. )
does not look like a brown cactus, but also does not look like the Cambridge version.

There may have been some mixing up going on here. The order goes like this:

74. Celidonia
72. ?Verbascum?
73. Heraclea
75. Strignos
76. Senecion

I think there is no doubt that the name "Barbascus" refers to Verbascum. B and V are easily merged or confused (see modern Spanish) and the same goes for A and E (see transcriptions from Arabic, Hindi etc.). But the thing with the brown cactus is weird indeed...

RE: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - MarcoP - 11-05-2017

The text of Cambridge 23r matches with Plut. 73.16 97v: it says that Verbascum grows in sandy places and that Mercury gave this plant to Ulysses.

PS: curiously, it seems that "barbascum" might have been the original Latin form (bearded plant) from which Verbascum derived. And the plant doesn't look much like a cactus. Maybe in this case the illustrator corrected the image?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.&

RE: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - MarcoP - 11-05-2017

Leiden VLQ 9 (Southern Italy, VI Century) used to be accessible online, but I think it isn't anymore. Anyway, I guess You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is from that herbal. The lower part of the Trinity plant is very similar to Plut 73 41. The yellow flowers are closer to the actual plant than the brown cactus, and maybe reminiscent of something like the yellow spikes in the Leiden ms.