The Voynich Ninja
[Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Library and Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Codicology and Paleography (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-48.html)
+--- Thread: [Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium (/thread-1888.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

[Trinity] Plant identification in Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - Koen G - 27-04-2017

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the tree on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is? I've gotten used to the script a bit and I think I can make out;
The name of the tree is "Quibanos". The tree grows in "anglica" 
- - then there's a bunch of abbreviations I don't understand yet - - 
and then, I guess: the tree was brought into the island by sea from Ethiopia (??)

By the way, there is something special about reading an abbreviated text like this. I don't really read the letters but rather at a glance I recognize the "shape" of an abbreviation. Like it doesn't really matter whether they drop one letter more or less. The abbreviations are almost like markers for the plant's name, for where it's from... And the paragraph markers are also really handy for seeing immediately where a section starts about a new plant. I'm starting o get a better feel for certain gallow hypotheses that have been proposed before.

RE: Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - Koen G - 28-04-2017

JKP: by coincidence I saw a Veronica plant in another MS which has its leaves much more like the VM plant: at various heights but oriented towards the bottom.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  
Still doesn't explain the flowers though.

Marco: interesting comparison. The arrangement of the figures in the Trinity MS reminds me of this, though here the central figure is Galen:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - bi3mw - 29-04-2017

I tried to find "Dipsacus fullonum" ( wild Teasel or Fuller's Teasel ), but without success. Actually, I hoped folio 12v could be considered ( top image ), but now I'm at a loss how to proceed. Any ideas where it's worth a closer look ?

RE: Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - ReneZ - 29-04-2017

(29-04-2017, 12:41 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I tried to find "Dipsacus fullonum" ( wild Teasel or Fuller's Teasel ), but without success. Actually, I hoped folio 12v could be considered ( top image ), but now I'm at a loss how to proceed. Any ideas where it's worth a closer look ?

The herb at the top of follio 12v is Pseudo-Apuleius herb nr. 25 (Howald-Sigerist numbering), which is called Camellea (at least in this herbal tradition).  (The name is also there in red).

Translating the French name I have for this herb: Chardon a Foulon, results in Fuller's Thistle, so that wasn't at all a bad guess......

RE: Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - bi3mw - 29-04-2017

@ReneZ: That's how it goes Wink I found a post from @JKP You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and compared to "circa instans" ( top right ). At least, I thought it is "circa instans":

[Image: comp_teasel.png]

Then I thought it's is like "comparing apples to pears" as we say here - and gave up. Anyway, thank you for your help.

RE: Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - ReneZ - 29-04-2017

The picture on the right is from MS Ashmole 1431, fol. 11v.
This is another copy of Pseudo-Apuleius.

One is in Cambridge, the other in Oxford Smile

RE: Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - Koen G - 29-04-2017

This plant on f186v, does anyone know what it could be? The Hebrew name is Cemehor, which reminded me of Camphor. This does not match the Latin and Greek names though. The plant is said to grow in the mountains of Arabia. Camphor grew in Southeast Asia, though it did reach Europe through Arab traders and the true origin of the plant would have been a mystery to many.

RE: Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - -JKP- - 29-04-2017

(29-04-2017, 08:02 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.This plant on f186v, does anyone know what it could be? The Hebrew name is Cemehor, which reminded me of Camphor. This does not match the Latin and Greek names though. The plant is said to grow in the mountains of Arabia. Camphor grew in Southeast Asia, though it did reach Europe through Arab traders and the true origin of the plant would have been a mystery to many.

I only have time for a quick glance... but it might be Solanum melongena (eggplant).

RE: Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - ReneZ - 30-04-2017

Here's the herb 'Canfora' in MS Casanatense 459 (created in N.Italy around 1400):
 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

RE: Trinity College MS O.2.48 Apuleii Herbarium - Koen G - 30-04-2017

I'm not certain of this one, does it say it grows in the mountains in Syria and....??
There is also a color annotation in one of the leaves (inset). f.238v top.