The Voynich Ninja
Indo Aryan Origins of Voynich .. ? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Indo Aryan Origins of Voynich .. ? (/thread-1877.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Indo Aryan Origins of Voynich .. ? - peteb - 28-04-2017

Good afternoon

Has this been discussed here? 
The possibility that the Voynich 'language' has roots that stem from the dialects of the Indian sub-continent.

RE: Indo Aryan Origins of Voynich .. ? - -JKP- - 28-04-2017

(28-04-2017, 05:22 AM)peteb Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Good afternoon

Has this been discussed here? 
The possibility that the Voynich 'language' has roots that stem from the dialects of the Indian sub-continent.

Yes, many times, and many different dialects (almost every language you can imagine has been suggested for the VMS), but no one has made a convincing argument to support the assertions. If you have ideas or information that shows a connection, I'm sure there are people who would be interested in hearing/discussing it.

RE: Indo Aryan Origins of Voynich .. ? - peteb - 28-04-2017

Thanks JKP, but I've searched on Indo Aryan, Hindu and Hindi and have found nothing. I''d rather not go over old ground and was hoping to read what has been said previously - any idea where the discussion is on this site?

RE: Indo Aryan Origins of Voynich .. ? - ReneZ - 28-04-2017

There isn't very much here, but as already suggested you may find discussions of this on Stephen Bax' blog.

Additionally, a google search for "Voynich Landa" will turn up a rather well known theory.

Thanks ReneZ, 'Voynich Landa' certainly does have a handle on some of the dialects from the sub-continent but I'd like to approach the subject in a homespun manner and not frighten anyone away.

Four hundred years ago Australia was not that different to what India was five thousand years ago. Sydney alone had five linguistic groups, Gadigal, Wangal, Burramattagal and Wallumattagal. Multiply that by as many tribes as were in the country and you have the same interwoven conspiracy of languages as we’re dealing with in India.

If an invading and hostile fleet provoked the migration of the Sydney tribes to the safety of the north, an odyssey of centuries, by the time they reached Darwin their languages would not be understood by the ones they left behind.

That's the basic premise.

RE: Indo Aryan Origins of Voynich .. ? - Koen G - 28-04-2017

I only delved into the Voynich language in the beginning, before I shifted my focus to imagery entirely. I developed a reading of some glyphs based on a limited number of labels in the small-plants section. Since then I've learned a lot though, and I wouldn't insist on anything of this without re-evaluating everything thoroughly. 

That said, some things I found pointed to the Indo-Iranian language family. In particular, I figured that some of the two-word labels could be explained this way. The first word would refer to the type of product gained from the plant: "wood of (tree type)", "juice of (fruit type)". These first words did appear to match appropriate Indo-Iranian roots, and the word order is also appropriate for this language family.

For example, the label on the left would point to a type of wood (dal, dol...). The one in the middle to a type of juice or sap (ros/ras). Note that the one on the right also starts with something like ros/ras, but here it's one word (which is a kind of variation I'm willing to accept before language standardization). 

[Image: image.jpg?q=f89v1_90r2-286-611-479-178]

One of the reasons why I let it rest for a while is that I suspect the VM script is kind of a visual approximation of a more fluent script with letters getting different forms depending on their position in the word. Well without going into too much detail, I'm afraid there might be a several-to-several relationship between glyph and sound, which makes our job nearly impossible. I'm hoping that one day our understanding of the imagery will be such that we can predict what the text should be and work from there.

Koen, how are you doing?

Aboriginals had no script that represented their languages, Indians had Brahmi text. That's what I'm chasing, the manuscripts that have been preserved.

RE: Indo Aryan Origins of Voynich .. ? - Koen G - 28-04-2017

(28-04-2017, 10:40 AM)peteb Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Koen, how are you doing?

Aboriginals had no script that represented their languages, Indians had Brahmi text. That's what I'm chasing, the manuscripts that have been preserved.

This would be a very interesting, yet largely unexplored line of investigation. But what exactly are you hoping to find? A script from which Voynichese could be derived?

No, I'm suggesting more of an archeology expedition that looks for what the (literate) migrating Indian tribes might have left behind in their centuries of passage to Medieval Europe.