The Voynich Ninja
[split] f35v parallels "oak and ivy" - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: [split] f35v parallels "oak and ivy" (/thread-1869.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Is it worthwhile actually trying to identify the plants in the VM? - -JKP- - 13-02-2016

(11-02-2016, 06:46 PM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Thanks JKP, that makes it three.

Could you tell me from which herbal the image is, that appears under the heading:
"Could the VMS Plant Have Been Independently Conceived?"

(From the few images I have, and the great resemblance with Sloane 4016, I suspect it would be
Masson 116).

Sorry for the delay, René. Another long workday. It looks like I did record the source:

Liber de herbis et plantis, Manfredus de Monte.

Oh hang on, you wanted to know the one below that. I will try to find it.

And thanks, Ellie.

P.S.

Hedera also twines around a tree in Compendium Salernitanum (mid-1300s) but it's not specifically a tree with oak-like leaves.

RE: Is it worthwhile actually trying to identify the plants in the VM? - Koen G - 19-04-2017

JKP, did you eventually find out where the image came from? 
Also, is someone able to transcribe or translate the text that accompanies the oak and ivy drawing in the Egerton 747 ms?

RE: Is it worthwhile actually trying to identify the plants in the VM? - -JKP- - 19-04-2017

(19-04-2017, 04:46 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.JKP, did you eventually find out where the image came from? 
Also, is someone able to transcribe or translate the text that accompanies the oak and ivy drawing in the Egerton 747 ms?

I am swamped in information. Thousands of pages of notes on plants, thousands of pages on notes on the text. Much of it written years ago.

I did most of my plant IDs in 2008. It wasn't until 2013 that I started uploading them. I thought I could get it all uploaded in two or three weeks. Wow, was I wrong. Now it's 2017 and I still can't find the time to expand the notes into narrative text. I did most of my research on the text between 2012 and 2014 and I still haven't uploaded 1% of that.

I have a dozen mostly-finished blogs and another 30 mostly-unfinished (they're in note form that is only legible to me).

If time could be bottled, I would buy a truckload. I don't even read all the forum posts (I'm about 300 posts behind at this point, probably more).

What concerns me now, more than ever, is duplication of effort. I see researchers going down some of the same roads for which I have pages of notes and could save them a lot of time... if only *I* could fine the time to gather and upload what I have.

And guess what... I have to run. Confused

RE: Is it worthwhile actually trying to identify the plants in the VM? - Koen G - 19-04-2017

Yeah it takes a lot of time to present even the simplest set of notes into a way that's comprehensible for others. But all in all it's worth it because your writing style combines depth of analysis with clarity and legibility - a rare thing indeed.

RE: Is it worthwhile actually trying to identify the plants in the VM? - davidjackson - 20-04-2017

I think we ought to cloud fund a secretary for Jkp!  Big Grin

RE: Is it worthwhile actually trying to identify the plants in the VM? - ReneZ - 20-04-2017

As regards the particular image of the oak and ivy I asked about, I think there is little doubt that it is from Masson 116.
The more interesting question (for me) is where this picture was found :-)
Only a few digital images of the MS are known to me.

This version of the illustration looks very similar to that in Sloane 4016, and in Munich Clm 28531 for that matter:

The Paris illustration is somewhat different, and more similar to the Voynich image.
The Paris MS was reportedly in the Visconti library in Pavia, at the time when the Voynich MS was written.
However, Toresella challenges this, and I am also beginning to doubt it.

It remains a very thin trail to the origin of the Voynich MS, but this is still a little bit more than nothing.

RE: Is it worthwhile actually trying to identify the plants in the VM? - ReneZ - 20-04-2017

(19-04-2017, 04:46 PM)Koen Gh Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Also, is someone able to transcribe or translate the text that accompanies the oak and ivy drawing in the Egerton 747 ms?

The full text of Egerton MS 747 has been edited and published, and the work is partly visible online.
The bad news is that the actual transcription part does not seem to be accessible, but I provide the link below, since this tends to depend on the place and time of the person browsing it. (Edit: it was working now, on p.428).
One can of course try to find it in a library...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Is it worthwhile actually trying to identify the plants in the VM? - Koen G - 20-04-2017

Thanks, Rene, works for me!

RE: Is it worthwhile actually trying to identify the plants in the VM? - -JKP- - 20-04-2017

René, I've had the Masson oak/ivy image for a while and when you asked, I tried to backtrack the source, without success... If I recall correctly it was one of those scholarly sites that highlights something interesting, but changes from time-to-time, as the topic changes. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find it again. It may have been written by someone who worked for the institution.

Sorry I wasn't able to find out more. When I was originally researching the VMS, it was just a pleasant diversion. I didn't know I would be communicating with others and hunted and gathered without saving original links.

RE: Is it worthwhile actually trying to identify the plants in the VM? - MarcoP - 20-04-2017

(20-04-2017, 09:42 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(19-04-2017, 04:46 PM)Koen Gh Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Also, is someone able to transcribe or translate the text that accompanies the oak and ivy drawing in the Egerton 747 ms?

The full text of Egerton MS 747 has been edited and published, and the work is partly visible online.
The bad news is that the actual transcription part does not seem to be accessible, but I provide the link below, since this tends to depend on the place and time of the person browsing it. (Edit: it was working now, on p.428).
One can of course try to find it in a library...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Hi Koen,
I can't see the transcription on google.books, but if you want some specific passages translated, just share them and I'll try to help.