The Voynich Ninja
[split] f35v parallels "oak and ivy" - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: [split] f35v parallels "oak and ivy" (/thread-1869.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: [split] f35v parallels "oak and ivy" - Koen G - 01-11-2019

That's a very interesting page, mr Tentakulus. 
I'm viewing on my phone and can't quite make out the text. Can anyone see why the oak with vine is on this page?

RE: [split] f35v parallels "oak and ivy" - -JKP- - 01-11-2019

From the same manuscript Aga posted:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The curly tailed creature is a crocodile.

RE: [split] f35v parallels "oak and ivy" - -JKP- - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 01:39 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
I'm viewing on my phone and can't quite make out the text. Can anyone see why the oak with vine is on this page?

It's also hard to see on a desktop, quite small, but I think the text says, "Ulmus sustentat vitem botrus ut tibi tresca.." with the last word cut off.

So I suppose it is describing how an elm tree (Ulmus) can be used to support grape vines.

RE: [split] f35v parallels "oak and ivy" - -JKP- - 09-11-2019

I thought this imagery in a 14th-century English vestment was quite interesting because the oak tree itself is crafted as a double helix, a combination of oak and the shape of vines:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. courtesy of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, public domain

What I noticed, as I looked at these vestments is that the 14th-century English vestment shares many design features with this Spanish vestment said to be from the 13th century. If you look at the figures, the overall design, the way the demons are drawn, and the double-helix framing the images, there are clear similarities. But the Daroca cope does not explicitly add oak leaves and acorns to the double-helix:

RE: [split] f35v parallels "oak and ivy" - Pardis Motiee - 10-06-2021

I tried this page yesterday, it brings "flower of Colocynth Ivy".

RE: [split] f35v parallels "oak and ivy" - Koen G - 11-06-2021

By coincidence I came across this woodcut, where the vine very explicitly passes right through a hole in the tree.

Unfortunately it is without any reference, and I have not been able to find a source by image searching. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: [split] f35v parallels "oak and ivy" - nablator - 11-06-2021

(11-06-2021, 01:26 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Unfortunately it is without any reference, and I have not been able to find a source by image searching. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Found with tineye.com: