The Voynich Ninja
month names - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: month names (/thread-182.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: month names - Bernd - 28-09-2022

I would say May 25th but Aga Tentakulus should be able to give a more qualified answer regarding Allemannic dialects.

ze = zu = towards
So my translation would be:
The first day is from the beginning of April on the 7th day"
The other day is the 7th day from the end of May.

It could theoretically mean 'added to' but that makes no sense. Why give a date in June by adding seven days to the end of May?

RE: month names - Aga Tentakulus - 28-09-2022

You can compare it to a candle.
The light of the outgoing candle. It is slowly coming to an end, but it is still there.
Ergo, the 7th day of the end of May. 31-7.
It can also be after middle month. 15 + 7.

The first month of autumn and the second month of autumn is an often used spelling for September and October.

Maygen is May. Depending on the region. We around Zurich still say in Maie. So also Eugster for August.
Heumonet May namesake for Meier, Meyer, Maier, Mayer. comes from mähen. Harvester. The one who cuts the grass.

Translated with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (free version)

RE: month names - Anton - 28-09-2022

(28-09-2022, 06:02 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The light of the outgoing candle. It is slowly coming to an end, but it is still there.
Ergo, the 7th day of the end of May. 31-7.

OK, got it. It's the same as when we say "a quarter to ten", meaning 10h minus 15 minutes, alias 9.45

RE: month names - Aga Tentakulus - 29-09-2022

@Anton
Yes, that comes in about.

I have never heard of Ferre for Taurus myself. With us it would be Muni.  Muni = (young) bull.

May is certainly correct, he uses it that way here too.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: month names - pedestrian - 29-09-2022

That's an interesting table you link to, Aga, in Cod. Sang. 678 / p204. Ten months listed, March to December. 

I don't recall the consensus view on the VM Zodiac. Are January and February pages thought to be on a folio missing from the manuscript, or is it thought they perhaps weren't written at all, that the author(s) only ever made a March to December Zodiac / calendar / whatever it is?

(29-09-2022, 08:03 AM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@Anton
Yes, that comes in about.

I have never heard of Ferre for Taurus myself. With us it would be Muni.  Muni = (young) bull.

May is certainly correct, he uses it that way here too.

what is drawn on the back of March?
The sequence does not allow for February.

If you look at this from a plant perspective, it makes sense. December - February are months of rest.

In your link the months describe the medical zodiac similar to this picture.

RE: month names - Anton - 29-09-2022

(29-09-2022, 08:03 AM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.May is certainly correct, he uses it that way here too.

Nope, that's another scribe. And here the names are in Latin. What are in German, are the preceding paragraph headings, of which December is on page 204 above, and September through November are on the preceding page 203. Somewhat oddly, the preceding June through August seem to be in Latin, and January through May are absent (p.202 is blank).

(29-09-2022, 10:33 AM)pedestrian Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I don't recall the consensus view on the VM Zodiac. Are January and February pages thought to be on a folio missing from the manuscript, or is it thought they perhaps weren't written at all, that the author(s) only ever made a March to December Zodiac / calendar / whatever it is?

Thought to be missing, would have been on folio 74, here's the layout: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

(29-09-2022, 12:22 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.what is drawn on the back of March?

The image is too small for me to be able to discern anything Wink

1. the year starts with March.
A clarification here would not be bad.
Was the view that the new year begins in spring (March) rather than in January?
This would possibly explain the missing pages at the end, and of course also the beginning.
2. he sometimes uses Latin at the beginning and German in the text.
I wonder if there was ever a Junius for June. (I think Juno would be correct)
Julius and July are clear.
September and Septembris.
So Julius (Latin) July (German/Allemannic) Juli is German.

So the dots above the "y" in Juni are also typically Alemannic. It stands for a long "i" Today written Junii, sometimes also Jonii, depending on the region.
Example: s'isch gsii es ist gewesen. It was once.

RE: month names - Juan_Sali - 29-09-2022

(29-09-2022, 01:21 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Quote:I don't recall the consensus view on the VM Zodiac. Are January and February pages thought to be on a folio missing from the manuscript, or is it thought they perhaps weren't written at all, that the author(s) only ever made a March to December Zodiac / calendar / whatever it is?
Thought to be missing, would have been on folio 74, here's the layout: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Calendars in medieval ages werent uniform across Europe. It is possible a "Zodiac" ending with January and February.

RE: month names - Anton - 29-09-2022

(29-09-2022, 04:41 PM)Juan_Sali Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Calendars in medieval ages werent uniform across Europe. It is possible a "Zodiac" ending with January and February.

It's not an issue of where Zodiac is ending, it's an issue of two signs missing.

But as to the ending, it starts with Pisces, so it would end with Aquarius.

Worth noting also, that month names are a later addition, and there are no ready indications of the VMS artist ever having intended to associate the Zodiac drawings with calendar months, to begin with.