The Voynich Ninja
[Palaeography] There is evidence of corrections within the text - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Tasks (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-28.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich tasks (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-32.html)
+---- Forum: Positions we can agree upon (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-53.html)
+---- Thread: [Palaeography] There is evidence of corrections within the text (/thread-1593.html)

Pages: 1 2

There is evidence of corrections within the text - davidjackson - 04-03-2017

Statement
There is evidence that corrections to the text have been carried out.

Explanation
It has been asserted in the past that the text was written fluidly in one pass and that there is no evidence of amendments to the text.

This is incorrect, as demonstrated in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. We can safely say that the text appears to have been corrected, possibly in an attempt to proof-read.

RE: There is evidence of corrections within the text - -JKP- - 05-03-2017

Yes, many.

I started to document them at one point, a couple of years ago, and found so many, I abandoned the project as too time-consuming.

RE: There is evidence of corrections within the text - MarcoP - 05-03-2017

(04-03-2017, 11:33 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Statement
There is evidence that corrections to the text has been carried out.

Explanation
It has been asserted in the past that the text was written fluidly in one pass and that there is no evidence of scraping out, or amendments to the text.

This is incorrect, as demonstrated in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. We can safely say that the text appears to have been corrected, possibly in an attempt to proof-read.

Hi David,
I am sorry for the late comment. I must have missed the thread in which the statement has been discussed before the poll was started.

While I do agree on the statement, the explanation seems to me to somehow obscure the point.
The explanation mentions scraping and fluidity. I think that voting on the presence of corrections is not the same as voting on the use of scraping. For instance, all the corrections mentioned by Rene (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and "Non-sequential writing", just below) involve no scraping. If we are voting on scraping too, it should be added to the statement (and I am not sure I would still agree).
Maybe a few examples should be extracted from the thread you mentioned and attached here.

The subject of "fluidity" is even trickier and I think it could be left out without damage for the relevance of the statement.

RE: There is evidence of corrections within the text - -JKP- - 05-03-2017

Thanks for bringing this up, Marco.

I see very little evidence of scraping, but many examples of letters that have been adjusted either mid-stroke or after the first part of the shape, or glyph, was drawn.

RE: There is evidence of corrections within the text - ReneZ - 05-03-2017

(05-03-2017, 12:53 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.For instance, all the corrections mentioned by Rene (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and "Non-sequential writing", just below) involve no scraping.

Oops, I was just in the process of re-arranging and improving this page a bit, so these two topics are no longer near each other on that page.

RE: There is evidence of corrections within the text - davidjackson - 05-03-2017

OK, we're not voting on the scraping out but on the corrections. I shall modify the explanation.

RE: There is evidence of corrections within the text - Anton - 05-03-2017

There was an example of scraping provided by Wladimir, I'll try to find it out.

EDIT: Actually, here it is: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: There is evidence of corrections within the text - ReneZ - 05-03-2017

(05-03-2017, 06:00 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There was an example of scraping provided by Wladimir, I'll try to find it out.

EDIT: Actually, here it is: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

That looks more like the writing from the other side shining through...

RE: There is evidence of corrections within the text - VViews - 05-03-2017

I'll agree with the statement that corrections to the text have been carried out.
Angel

RE: There is evidence of corrections within the text - davidjackson - 05-03-2017

Guess that's why you're the Editor, VViews! Big Grin  If I filed copy like that, my, the rap on my knuckles!