The Voynich Ninja
[Conference] Voynich presentation at Oxford Medieval Graduate Conference - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Conference] Voynich presentation at Oxford Medieval Graduate Conference (/thread-1579.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Voynich presentation at Oxford Medieval Graduate Conference - Koen G - 01-04-2017

I've read the draft now, I must say it reads mostly as a 'suggestion for further research'. Of course the finished paper might provide some more depth.

Perhaps the most notable new idea in the paper is a perceived parallel between the 'flattened city' illustrations in certain herbals and the VM rosettes foldout. I guess one could argue a stylistic parallel here, but to go further than that seems to ignore the fact that the VM foldout is much more elaborate and intricate than those relatively small herbal illustrations. The makers of the VM even went out of their way to put the thing on a much larger piece of parchment.

There are some intriguing parallels between the VM plants and these Italian herbals, but I just don't think that the examples she adds are the most convincing ones..

RE: Voynich presentation at Oxford Medieval Graduate Conference - Diane - 02-04-2017

Quote:I was at the conference and she is an incredibly knowledgeable and well-spoken scholar. Also very approachable and patient with questions

I must say that she is a fortunate young scholar, too, to be treated so well by the 'Voynich community'.

For example, no-one started a rumour that she should be ignored on the wholly imaginary grounds that she was 'just trying to make a name' for herself.

No-one attempted to start a boycott of her opinions or writing.

The audience paid attention, and recognised that her opinions were informed by some depth of study.

We saw no effort to start a 'snigger' session as a way to prevent her opinions being treated with attention - whether or not one agrees with them.

When she spoke in response to a question, she wasn't set upon by hecklers, one after the other.

Her academic credentials were not publicly sneered at.  No-one implied, let alone asserted, that she was a liar.

Much of what has disenchanted the scholarly fraternity has been reactions such as these to information uncongenial to someone's pet theory.  

Had this scholar been treated as others have been by the more ambitious, and less well schooled Voynicheros, I daresay after a few years at most she would probably have just tossed up her hands and left the 'community' to its own ways.

So on behalf of all scholars whose personal character, competence and qualifications have been attacked where their work could not be - may I say thanks to the other Voynicheros who were in that audience.

Well done, you.

RE: Voynich presentation at Oxford Medieval Graduate Conference - Koen G - 02-04-2017

I'll make an attempt to split this thread, give me a minute.
Edit: the discussion about the Alchemists' herbals is moved here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Voynich presentation at Oxford Medieval Graduate Conference - MarcoP - 02-04-2017

(01-04-2017, 06:29 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I find the stemma diagram at the end confusing. Does it say that Egerton 747 (1300 ca) descends from the alchemical herbal Firenze ms 106 (XV Century)?

I now see that this note was added on Academia:

(PLEASE NOTE: stemmata lines are incorrect as PPT/Word artefact--will be clarified for publication)

RE: Voynich presentation at Oxford Medieval Graduate Conference - MarcoP - 04-04-2017

I had previously missed VViews' notes about the conference.
They can be read here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

His blog post really adds to what can be read in Marraccini's paper, with a great transcription of the Q&A session that followed the presentation. Marraccini's answers seem to me pertinent and well documented (even if my personal opinions are sometimes different).

I certainly subscribe what VViews' writes: "While we may not all agree with all of the points she makes (and I am sure it will ruffle some feathers) I think as hobbyists we should pay attention and not just shrug off this rare bit of scholarly insight just because it may not provide support for our preferred interpretation of the imagery".
I also share his hope that Marraccini will follow this line of study in the future. As Koen wrote, the draft paper is largely "suggestion for further research" and I am sure that Marraccini has the competence and the enthusiasm to contribute to the furthering of her own suggestions.

RE: Voynich presentation at Oxford Medieval Graduate Conference - ReneZ - 04-04-2017

I also greatly appreciate the report by VViews!!

The point she made about the amount of testing that has already been done on the MS may seem disappointing to the Voynich community, but is part of a reality in which research costs money, and needs to be justified in a competitive environment of research grants.