The Voynich Ninja
List of line-initial words that only appear line-initially? - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: List of line-initial words that only appear line-initially? (/thread-1544.html)

List of line-initial words that only appear line-initially? - nickpelling - 22-02-2017

Has anyone compiled a list of line-initial words that only appear line-initially?

I was reminded of this by a 2008 Cipher Mysteries post (which I had inevitably forgotten about until stumbling over it yesterday) where I mentioned that Marke Fincher had pointed out to me that ycheo[-] and ysheo[-] only ever appear line-initially, along with something similar with dche[-].
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: List of line-initial words that only appear line-initially? - Davidsch - 22-02-2017

You mean line-initial words of what particular length?

Not exactly, but I've done:
  • all You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., first words, first letters of those words, where page has textlines (203 pages)
  • first paragraphs, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. on 1st or 2nd position, where page has textlines (193 pages)

• words and  gallows from all paragraphs in the entire text, where You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (890 lines)
  • words and gallows from all paragraphs in the entire text, where You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (478 lines)
Which shows:  that the gallows have no exact relation to the beginning of a page. there are no particular words with which the page starts. Etc. etc.

from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

What you want is perhaps 15-30 minutes work.

RE: List of line-initial words that only appear line-initially? - Oocephalus - 22-02-2017

I've just done this, using this as an opportunity to practice Perl. There are 1114 such words in  the Takahashi transcription. I've attached the list as a text file. 
Here are the frequencies of the initial letters:
a: 7
c: 2
ch: 15
cph: 3
cth: 7
d: 105
e: 5
f: 29
h: 1
k: 50
l: 14
o: 168
p: 195
q: 55
r: 9
s: 90
sh: 27
t: 141
x: 1
y: 189

The words occur with the following frequencies:
1: 1000 words
2: 84
3: 19
4: 4
5: 5
6: 1 (dcheo)
16: 1 (ychor)

RE: List of line-initial words that only appear line-initially? - Davidsch - 22-02-2017

What are your specs of the TT ?
Did you use all text, or what ?

Can you give the top repeated words, with the repeats as well ?

RE: List of line-initial words that only appear line-initially? - ReneZ - 22-02-2017

(22-02-2017, 01:45 PM)Oocephalus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The words occur with the following frequencies:
1: 1000 words

Do I understand correctly, that of 1114 line-initial words, 1000 occur only once (i.e. line-initially) ???

That is quite a striking result, and if that was ever mentioned before, it its significance must have escaped me.

RE: List of line-initial words that only appear line-initially? - Oocephalus - 22-02-2017

Davidsch:
Quote:What are your specs of the TT ?
Did you use all text, or what ?
Yes, all text. I downloaded it from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. I did not include one-word lines (which are almost exclusively labels).

Quote:Can you give the top repeated words, with the repeats as well ?
You mean the ones with the greatest number of repeats? I can do that, I'll write another script for that.
The frequency of each word is in the file. I posted. I've attached a new file with the words ordered according to word frequency. 

ReneZ:
Quote:Do I understand correctly, that of 1114 line-initial words, 1000 occur only once (i.e. line-initially) ???
Not quite (if I understood you correctly). Of the 1114 words that occur only line-initially, 1000 occur only once.

For all exclusively line-initial words that occurs four or more times, the attachment to this post contains all the lines starting with them.

RE: List of line-initial words that only appear line-initially? - ReneZ - 22-02-2017

(22-02-2017, 04:46 PM)Oocephalus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.ReneZ:
Quote:Do I understand correctly, that of 1114 line-initial words, 1000 occur only once (i.e. line-initially) ???
Not quite (if I understood you correctly). Of the 1114 words that occur only line-initially, 1000 occur only once.

I see. That's indeed a different thing.

So those are the line-initial uniques.

I've made a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. of all first words (3905 words), in all paragraph lines to compare the results of the first-initial  unique words.

It's quite interesting.  ychor is the 31th when sorted High to low on the repeats in those words.
If we look in the list of all unique words the same way, that word is found on row 349.