The Voynich Ninja
foldouts line transcriptions - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Physical material (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-42.html)
+--- Thread: foldouts line transcriptions (/thread-1512.html)

foldouts line transcriptions - Davidsch - 08-02-2017

During analysis of the text I've located an anomaly
Often this an indication there is something wrong.

It surprised me that after all this time I did not notice it before,
and rather inconvenient, because now I realize many (of my old) statistics are actually false.

The foldouts, have a transcription which is spread along the width of the foldouts !!

f101r1 => the transcript is actually of page  f100v + r1 + r2. 
By inspection it sounds logical. But it is rather special, having such long lines of text !!

f101v2 => i did not know this is a foldout !!  Now You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
tells that  f101v2 actually holds the transcript for 101v2 + v1 !!

Since there is no picture of the foldout, I do not know if the text really is 1 long line, 
or that actually the text has to be cut up into 2 pages.

Zandbergen writes: "There are 10 lines of text in three paragraphs, all at the bottom of the page. The text crosses the vertical fold between f101v2 and f101v1 and spans the total width of the foldout folio. The last line has been centred, also in the middle of the pair of pages. The fold, which is rather damaged, makes reading of part of the text very difficult."

But, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., tells that

#   This page spans two normal-size panels (f101v2 + f101v1) in a
#   four-panel fold-out folio. They were originally entered as two
#   separate pages (f101v2 and f101v1). However the text and plants
#   clearly connect across the joining fold. [Stolfi]

I would like the possible to decide for myself if it is or is not a long line of text.
Unfortunately, I did not find such a picture of the entire stretched foldout.

f89r2
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
It is not difficult to see that indeed the text is written as one long line along 89r2 + r3

f89v2
It is not difficult to see that indeed the text is written as one long line along 89v3 + v2

---
Question to René "so called" Z.: are there more texts which are really long foldout texts?

RE: foldouts line transcriptions - ReneZ - 08-02-2017

Hello David,

several points:

If you go here:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
the links under the image both show the complete foldout together with f100v.
There you can see that the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. text is separate, and that the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. text on the two panels f101r1 and f101r2 are continuous lines over the fold.

The link to the transcription text in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
has both panels, and the next one: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
is actually empty.

A similar story for f101v, but with a difference.
There is no scan of the f101v2 and f101v1 together in one image.
Interestingly, though, the Yale facsimile has this.
Anyway, the text over the fold is largely illegible but it seems to be again composed of continuous lines.

There are actually no f89r3 or f89v3.
When these panels were "named" by Anne Nill she decided to call both sides of the fold r2 and v2, and this was later adopted and popularised by Jim Reeds and reflected in Jason Davies and my web page.

For an overview of all folds, which one are panel boundaries and which ones aren't, see You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. .

RE: foldouts line transcriptions - Wladimir D - 08-02-2017

It is a pity, that it was not done scanning with high-resolution of "rotation" 101v2- 101v1 prior to the restoration.
The three banks - is three recipes from three rows of plants. Of each recipe belongs to one paragraph description. (Three paragraphs).
Moreover, in the third recipe forgot to write the labels near the plants.

RE: foldouts line transcriptions - Davidsch - 09-02-2017

Ok Rene, I have to be sure that these pages I mentioned are the only transcribed pages that hold more text than fits on 1 horizontal (standard) page.
I will do a wordcount and check them all again coming days.

----

This is an important observation.

First of all, these are the longest lines available in the manuscript in these pages. 
This shows that the line as an entity is more complex than one might think.

If you have any rules on coherency of the words in one line: you can test them on these lines now!

Next, if you do statistical analysis,  f.e. counting words per line, lines per page, letters per line
and some of my more recent work: "horizontal and vertical connects" you will see that these pages will pop up with numbers at least twice as high as other numbers.

Because I was only focused on the numbers I did not view the real pages until yesterday. 
I am also a bit disappointed that nobody ever noticed this or brought it up, at least I did not read about these facts before anywhere.

RE: foldouts line transcriptions - Davidsch - 11-02-2017

I am using the VMS text incl rosette, only the paragraphs. Splitting up those lines into two lines, does not change the average of 8.3 vords per line.