The Voynich Ninja
root pages - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: root pages (/thread-1507.html)

root pages - Davidsch - 07-02-2017

What do you think is on the root pages?

The root pages:  f100v_f101r1_f101r2 and following pages  (added: there are 18 pages : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. -till- f89v1 and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. -till- f102v1)

for example
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

a) the root/herbal drawings:

I think I am seeing herbals
in particular small plants
all plant have roots which are brown colored 
and the roots seem to get focus because the plants seems to be drawn casually
especially on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

b) the containers:

there are some "general" containers which are drawn casual, even without coloring
but also there are very fancy containers
some containers have labels

c) identification:

Are there roots that can be identified without doubt?  for example ginger, onion, carrot
I see a possible ginger. But I am not familiar with the "common medieval" roots,
perhaps there is a list of common roots as a starting point.
Culpeper has such a list but he did not focus on the roots alone in his books.
But perhaps I should double check that.

d) relation to other pages:

What is the relation of the root pages towards all the other pages?
Are these pages stand-alone. I don't think there are stand-alone based on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. where root & plants are an the page.
On the other hand, why aren't there references (visual or textual) to the containers in the other text ?

RE: root pages - Koen G - 07-02-2017

First thing first: which ones do we consider "root pages" and why? You start at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. but when I look at that foldout I see mostly greens, some of them with an insignificant root. Actually these are some of the most un-rooty plant pages in the manuscript Smile

In my opinion the only "true" root page is f99 on both sides.

RE: root pages - Davidsch - 08-02-2017

Good point, in any of my research directions I hold an exact list of several things. 
There are not many people familiar with it, but I mention them sometimes.  They are:
* format of the pages: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (pharma=pages with roots)
* Eva transcription versions (see below that page for sources)

Here only the page numbers are important. There are 18 pages considered:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. -till- f89v1 
and 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. -till- f102v1

For example take:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

This is for 90% a claw of an animal, right?
What does it represent?  The dangerous "Berenklauw"? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

In every language there are different names for roots.

For example You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.mentions: crabs claw, or Bird's Foot. Are they in the VMS ?

If we have some distinct roots, we can try to find in the extensive databases of herbals, the common names that match those roots best.
I think it would be fun to see if we can find perhaps three very good names, that are common in 1 language in medieval time.