The Voynich Ninja
[Conference] Crypto history event in Bratislava in 2017: Voynich presentations welcome! - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Conference] Crypto history event in Bratislava in 2017: Voynich presentations welcome! (/thread-1471.html)

Pages: 1 2

Crypto history event in Bratislava in 2017: Voynich presentations welcome! - kschmeh - 26-01-2017

Hi all,

I would like to draw your attention to a European crypto history event scheduled for May 2017:

THE EUROPEAN HISTORIC CIPHERS COLLOQUIUM (Euro HCC)
Bratislava, Slovakia
May 18th and 19th, 2017

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

This conference is expected to be the largest European crypto history event ever.

As a member of the program committee, I would like to encourage you to propose a presentation. Of course, presentations about the Voynich Manuscript are highly welcome. Maybe we can make the Euro HCC the most important Voynich event since the Voynich 100!

So, if you have an interesting Voynich topic to talk about, please hand in an abstract.

Klaus Schmeh

RE: Crypto history event in Bratislava in 2017: Voynich presentations welcome! - Anton - 27-01-2017

Hi Klaus,

Thx for the announcement and welcome to the forum! Cool

RE: Crypto history event in Bratislava in 2017: Voynich presentations welcome! - -JKP- - 27-01-2017

Thank you for the info.

Unfortunately, I can't go, but I look forward to hearing about it.

RE: Crypto history event in Bratislava in 2017: Voynich presentations welcome! - Anton - 27-01-2017

Klaus, since the submission closes on Jan 29, leaving us with only one working day for inquiries, I'd like to post a couple of questions here which you may be able to comment upon during the weekend.

1) It is stated that the initial submission closes on Jan 29 while the final submission is due by April. What is the expected scope of the initial submission? Do we have to sumbit only the title, the authors list and the short abstract by Jan 29 (which will leave us with three months still to prepare the paper), or we are expected to be ready with our full texts as early as Jan 29?

2) The submission fee is not currently dicslosed. Can you please advise on the expected order of the figures? Will it be hundreds of Euros per page or tens of euros per page or what?

...And one more question: do we understand correctly that the "10 page paper" format implies no presentation (just publication), while the "2 page extended abstract" implies presentation?

RE: Crypto history event in Bratislava in 2017: Voynich presentations welcome! - kschmeh - 27-01-2017

>It is stated that the initial submission closes on Jan 29 while the final submission is due by April.
Yes. Please hand in your submission until Jan 29. The committee might accept later submissions in exceptional cases, but there's no guarantee.

>Do we have to sumbit only the title, the authors list and the short abstract by Jan 29 (which will leave us with three months still to prepare the paper)
Yes, this is the case. A one or two paragraph abstract is sufficient. You don't need to use LaTex for the initial submission.

>The submission fee is not currently dicslosed. Can you please advise on the expected order of the figures?
I hope, the participation fee will be below 100 Euros per person for the whole event (not including travel, hotel and food).

>do we understand correctly that the "10 page paper" format implies no presentation (just
>publication), while the "2 page extended abstract" implies presentation?
No.
If you hand in a proposal (1-2 paragraphs is sufficient), you're expected to write a 10 page paper until April and to give a presentation at the event. The "2 page extended abstract" is only necessary, if you want the committee to take a closer look at your content (e.g., because you're not sure if it makes sense to present it).

I'm  looking forward to seeing some of you in Bratislava.

Klaus

RE: Crypto history event in Bratislava in 2017: Voynich presentations welcome! - Anton - 06-03-2017

To those who kept an eye on the proceedings - unfortunately our submission (me, David & Koen) was not accepted, so don't expect our presentation there. Dunno if any other Voynich-related papers are on the venue (the program is not published yet).

RE: Crypto history event in Bratislava in 2017: Voynich presentations welcome! - -JKP- - 07-03-2017

(06-03-2017, 11:39 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.To those who kept an eye on the proceedings - unfortunately our submission (me, David & Koen) was not accepted, so don't expect our presentation there. Dunno if any other Voynich-related papers are on the venue (the program is not published yet).

Ah, too bad. I'm sure you would have done a good job. Next time.    Smile

RE: Crypto history event in Bratislava in 2017: Voynich presentations welcome! - Anton - 13-04-2017

The program has been announced: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Unfortunately, nothing about the VMS out there...

RE: Crypto history event in Bratislava in 2017: Voynich presentations welcome! - MarcoP - 13-04-2017

(13-04-2017, 04:50 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The program has been announced: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Unfortunately, nothing about the VMS out there...

That's a pity, but I think some of the papers might be of interest. In particular:
  • Determining the text reading direction of an unknown text
  • Automated Cryptanalysis of Classical Ciphers
  • Wolfenbuttel, a Minor German Duchy but a Major Center of Cryptology in the Early Modern Period