The Voynich Ninja
Quire 13 - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Quire 13 (/thread-146.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Quire 13 - Searcher - 01-01-2021

So, 
blue - air
green - water
red - fire
yellow - earth.
[Image: the-ordinall-of-alchemy-add_ms_10302_f067v.jpg]

RE: Quire 13 - Searcher - 01-01-2021

Actually, I didn't see the color manuscript version earlier. That feeling when you look at a thing in a new way.

RE: Quire 13 - Linda - 02-01-2021

(01-01-2021, 06:03 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(01-01-2021, 04:32 PM)Linda Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.My problem with the idea that alchemy is involved is that i don't see how to relate it to what i see, and don't see how the narrative would go if it were about alchemy instead of what i see. My lack of knowledge on the subject doesn't aid me in this. So how would that narrative go, beyond the idea of mixing things together, or separating them out?

I wish I could understand the picture language on Q13 so far that I could construct a conclusive sequence of events from it. Since the picture language stands however outside of the tradition of the alchemistic way of representation one can only try to transfer the process of the production of a, let's say "Auqa vitae" as well as possible. This is without question a very laborious undertaking, but in my opinion possible.

Happy New Year bi3mw!

I agree it is possible, i would not be surprised if it could be shown to do that. It is outside of any tradition, it would seem. I have been working on a post which shows commonalities of quire 13 and what i believe they all represent. Maybe it would help you to decide what you think each thing is, to see them grouped together? 

I have been holding off posting it because i didn't have a way to deal with my own pictorial crops with the device i was using but i have a new laptop now so i don't have any more excuses not to put some more useful collages in place of the single examples i currently have filling the space. 

The problem remains that the only Aqua vitae i see being discussed is not the alchemical distillates kind, but the actual water of life, which is the rivers and seas of the earth and the replenishment thereof by the cycling of water, which connects us all and without which we all would not exist. How is that any less magical of a thing or important enough of an idea? The practicalities of knowing how to get around the known world also seem extremely useful to me, along with the ability to provide the information to others by reconstructing the map and its details from the mnemonics.

It would be cool if it also could be shown to be a procedure to produce Aqua vitae, and especially if you ended up with the same page order as i do, because the double entendre would be just perfect. Spirits of wine would also be a great double entendre insofar as red headbands on some of the nymphs show that volcanic areas are good for winemaking.

RE: Quire 13 - bi3mw - 03-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 11:07 PM)Linda Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It would be cool if it also could be shown to be a procedure to produce Aqua vitae, and especially if you ended up with the same page order as i do, because the double entendre would be just perfect.

Thanks Linda, and all the best to you too !

Unfortunately, so far I only have a description in text form for making aqua vitae. Recently Marco has linked me a text You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. But this is of limited help in concretely reconstructing a distillation process ( too much latin text to translate  ) Sad
It would be nice to have an illustration showing the individual steps, including the addition of substances. An overview of distillation I know so far only from the "Liber de arte distillandi".

However, individual apparatuses in Q13 can be easily recognized and assigned, for example You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. But a complete representation of the whole process is, as I said, very difficult. In addition, one cannot be sure about the order of the folios in Q13.

edit:
Distillation of alcohol (aqua vitae). Distillation in an alembic over furnace. The distillate was discharged by spouting into an 'arbeit', a bathtub with cold water, and was collected in the vessel in the right.    
BSB, Techn. 24 u, De la pirotechnia, Biringuccio, Vannoccio, 1559, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
The following illustrations show further steps.