The Voynich Ninja
Decomposition of the "gallows" characters - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Decomposition of the "gallows" characters (/thread-141.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Decomposition of the "gallows" characters - -JKP- - 15-03-2016

(15-03-2016, 08:01 PM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Why did the author, having torn off the pen after writing the gallows "F, P" Figure 2, 3, 4, 5, and then writes  additional hooks.
After all, these gallows there are without hooks Figure 1.
In my opinion, in this laid the additional information (variability), the more that the hook can turn into the second leg  of gallows Figure 6, 7, 8.

Wladimir, I had noticed the addition of the hooks, but I've been so busy looking at other aspects of the manuscript that I had not yet thought about why the scribe did it. I like your suggestion that the scribe might have been leaving himself the option of adding an extra embellishment like the extra leg. Very good observation.

I'm still not sure whether these extra "parts" carry meaning or are embellishments, but obviously if there was some planning involved in leaving room for them, they were important, one way or another, to the person who wrote the letters. Someone creating a fake document would probably NOT have constructed it this way. It's one more little hint that the content of the text may be meaningful.

RE: Decomposition of the "gallows" characters - Anton - 15-03-2016

The p and f  hooks are an interesting issue indeed. I have long been wondering whether they are a simple embellishment or not. Some gallows are clearly with hooks, and some are clearly without. But there are gallows for which it is not clear whether a hook is there or not. Consider, for example, f5v, second line, last vord. The p here has an arc of a large radius which may be an imperfect horizontal line or an imperfect hook. This degree of uncertainty is against the hook as a meaninful element. But examples such as noted by Wladimir are in favour thereof.

RE: Decomposition of the "gallows" characters - Wladimir D - 16-03-2016

Figure 1 shows the gallows "T" with coalescent legs, although the space between the adjacent symbols allows you to write them separately. This is some way related to the gallows in Figure 2.
Here there is a "third leg", and the space between the right legs is painted. The right leg at the tope of small loop ends, and the middle leg ends hook. A similar situation is observed on the same page at the gallows "K" Figure 3, 4, 5, 6.
Figure 7 - addition to the fixes in the VMS. "T" here over the double "e" symbol written gallows.

RE: Decomposition of the "gallows" characters - Anton - 16-03-2016

(16-03-2016, 12:09 PM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Figure 1 shows the gallows "T" with coalescent legs, although the space between the adjacent symbols allows you to write them separately. This is some way related to the gallows in Figure 2.
Here there is a "third leg", and the space between the right legs is painted. The right leg at the tope of small loop ends, and the middle leg ends hook. A similar situation is observed on the same page at the gallows "K" Figure 3, 4, 5, 6.
Figure 7 - addition to the fixes in the VMS. "T" here over the double "e" symbol written gallows.

I think these are cases where the quill was worn out, and nothing special.

Why, then, 42 other gallows on this page is ideal?

(16-03-2016, 12:22 PM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Why, then, 42 other gallows on this page is ideal?

Which page you are referring to? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. or f106r?

page f6v

In f6v, all "defective" gallows are consecutive, which does not contradict the assumption that the quill got damaged in the end of the first line, and in the middle of the third line it was fined (or a new quill was taken). By the way, this is valuable evidence that the lines on the page were put down sequentially, and the lines themselves were put down sequentially as well. Alas, we do not know whether this is the inherent property of the ciphering technique, because the ciphertext could have been prepared in advance, and put down onto vellum afterwards.

Then it turns out that the gallows written last on the page, since  the bad pen affects only the gallows.

(16-03-2016, 03:11 PM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Then it turns out that the gallows written last on the page, since  the bad pen affects only the gallows.

Good observation! Althouth another possible explanation is that the specific movement of the bad quill which produced this defect is utilized only when inscribing the gallows. Also, I think that vord 4 in the second line (qockchar) has its r defective in the same way.