The Voynich Ninja
Corrections in the VMS - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Corrections in the VMS (/thread-136.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Wladimir D - 26-09-2016

Delete the text of the first two lines and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. f 44v.
It is strange that the old one is removed in the middle of each line. As if the text begin to form into two sides of the line center.
On "the callout" symbol "a" turned out to be written over the "S"?

RE: Corrections in the VMS - ThomasCoon - 26-09-2016

Very interesting Wladimir!

Here is something I just saw:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=662]

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Diane - 26-09-2016

JKP
Quote:I think most likely they wrote out the script on scrap parchment

You realise this is pretty much what Baresch says: that someone collected the material in bits and pieces from diverse sources and then took it back (to wherever) and copied it in the hand you now see.

I checked with Philip Neal whether the 'hand you now see' (or words to that effect) implied that the copyists had invented the 'hand you now see' and he said not; that it implies the copying replicated the precedents.

About the "scraps" - I wish I could recall who, and haven't time to check at the moment, but one researcher noticed (I think correctly) that the pages seemed in some (all?) cases to have been copied from the bottom up.

Paragraph by paragraph, perhaps.

One reason for that, I thought, could be that a series of strips was laid on the page; then the easiest method would be to lift the bottom strip and copy that; wait till it dried (not long) and then lift the next highest.  This would ensure the text stayed on the right page for the drawings, and that the slips weren't disturbed by the writer's sleeve, as would happen if you tried to work top-down.

Just an idea, of course.  I also notice that no-one has mentioned that the precedent(s) might have been on paper rather than a more enduring medium.  Paper is perfectly possible and even likely if, indeed, the 'noble chap' had been to Egypt or the Levant.  I find added support for the 'paper' idea in that the somewhat unusual dimensions of Beinecke MS 408 are found as a standard paper size, rather earlier, and in items recovered from the Cairo geniza.  I have it on Rene's authority that the dimensions of the Vms are as made; that there's no sign of later trimming.

Another possibility is that the 'strips' were on palm-leaves, a very common medium for 'books' from North Africa and Egypt though Syria, Arabia, India and to as far as southeast Asia in which last two it continues to be used.

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Wladimir D - 08-11-2016

On page f67r2 double "e" fixed to the gallows "k".
What morphological bond can be among these symbols, to be able to make a mistake in the formation (and later in the correction) "word"?
This could be an argument for the assumption that in some cases "ee" may mean one letter (similar to "u").

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Anton - 08-11-2016

Very good observation, Wladimir.

Another possibility is that this is not a correction, but a composite character consisting of two e's and a k. (Something like benched gallows).

RE: Corrections in the VMS - -JKP- - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 01:30 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Very good observation, Wladimir.

Another possibility is that this is not a correction, but a composite character consisting of two e's and a k. (Something like benched gallows).

I was wondering about that too, Anton, especially since Wladimir has previously pointed out a couple of examples of gallows with EVA-e on the bottom leg. It may be deliberate.

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Wladimir D - 09-11-2016

In my example the right foot of the gallows breaks right through the "e"(damage the symbol). Among the wide gallows no examples of simultaneous contact legs with two symbols  "e".
There are two interesting cases of writing the gallows.
In the first example, the left foot of the gallows written short, so as not to touch the "e" symbol. Even if the gallows was added on the second pass was enough space to write a normal gallows.
In the second example, the left foot of gallows touches the shelves benches, and the second leg shifted to the right and touches the the right foot of the bench.

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Davidsch - 21-11-2016

(Oops, Edited my post i misread this thread:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. for this "Corrections in the VMS" and was reading two at the same time)

Yes, the Voynich author made mistakes and corrected some words. 

real errors, occur if the scribist would have written for example words  like  "nayioq" or "idiotic"

Then the letters or words did not follow the defined ruleset and from an analytical point it can be called an error. Examples I already placed You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Corrections in the VMS - stellar - 12-02-2017

(24-09-2016, 02:56 PM)ThomasCoon Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.How about this image? It looks like the scribe forgot an <s> and added it above the word.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=653]

If the text is meaningless (even constructed by a grid), why would he bother to add the letter afterwards?

Thomas great spot,

As far as I'm concerned this is proof that the VMS is not meaningless.

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Wladimir D - 12-02-2017

addition to the post № 34

On You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. page (second recipe from below) characters "ii" was changed to the gallows "K".
The combination of characters * ia * is not typical for the text (only one case You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. , the second case of an incorrect transcription of " i = r").
What was needed was a replacement, if not from a linguistic point of view, at least for compliance with the rules of word generation, which indicates possibility of using concentric discs with symbols or motile rulers (logarithmic ruler, but only with the letters).