The Voynich Ninja
Corrections in the VMS - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Corrections in the VMS (/thread-136.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Corrections in the VMS - -JKP- - 20-01-2016

I was able to find my notes on the "curious characters" on Folio 10r and have uploaded them to my blog.

It might be possible to argue that they are corrections since they appear to be added after the bulk of the text was written, except that I'm pretty sure they were written in another hand and that there are some contextual problems with viewing them as corrections. So, if they are not corrections, this is slightly off-topic, but they're close enough to mention here.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Anton - 20-01-2016

I'd suggest that the course of events in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. was like this:

The red line marks the initial margin. The characters leftwards from the red line were added afterwards.

I think that the character that you assume to be EVA "r" is not meant to be an r. It is the arc symbol (as encountered several times in f49v, leftmost column) with an upper tail modifier appended to it (more about tail modifiers You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.), thus forming a special character which has nothing to do with r.

RE: Corrections in the VMS - -JKP- - 20-01-2016

I only call it "r" as a visual reference. I don't interpret it as an "r" in the sense we know it. It's simply easier to say "r with a tail" or "c with a tail" when referring someone to a picture of the character.

In Latin it's not an "r" at all. It's a full word when it stands alone and a syllable when included with other text. I have an article on the "leaning r" and its visual relationship to Latin abbreviations.

Your red line is a good visualization of what was probably the course of events. I assume from your comment that you agree the letters were later added. May I also assume you see them as a different hand? I'm pretty sure they are but I am curious whether others think so too.

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Anton - 20-01-2016

I refer to "r " not as to Latin "r", but as to EVA "r".

(BTW, I adopted the practice of writing EVA characters in italic in this forum, precisely to distinguish from Latin).

So what I mean is that there is EVA "r", but the character that we are discussing is not meant to be EVA r. It is the arc symbol (it is in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. only, and does not have any special designation, only code &163) with the tail modifier appended, thus resulting in extended EVA &135.

RE: Corrections in the VMS - -JKP- - 21-01-2016

(20-01-2016, 05:28 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I refer to "r " not as to Latin "r", but as to EVA "r".

(BTW, I adopted the practice of writing EVA characters in italic in this forum, precisely to distinguish from Latin).

So what I mean is that there is EVA "r", but the character that we are discussing is not meant to be EVA r. It is the arc symbol (it is in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. only, and does not have any special designation, only code &163) with the tail modifier appended, thus resulting in extended EVA &135.

I don't think the character mapped to Extended EVA 135 is a native Voynichese character (which might be why it wasn't included in the original EVA set). It's an isolate, tacked on to the beginnings and endings of lines in small discreet numbers (e.g., beginning of lines in Folio 10r and end of a line in Folio 19r). The character on Folio 10r doesn't look like the same handwriting or pen-stroke pressures (light-heavy-light) found in the main VMS.

I'm pretty sure it's another person's attempt at drawing the backward-leaning r with a tail (EVA r or R). I suppose it could be argued that there was no attempt to duplicate a VMS letter (even though the "o" was duplicated), that the writer made up a new letter, but then you have to wonder what would motivate someone to add something so discreetly and yet make it stand out by giving it a shape that is distinct from other glyphs.

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Anton - 21-01-2016

The character in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is slightly different, and probably even more strange, because, in contrast to &135, it cannot be "decomposed" into the regular base symbol and tail modifier. And it was classified in extended EVA on its own as &143.

What do you think of line 2 ending in f19r? Does not seem to be a later addition, does it? Was it meant to correct o to y?

RE: Corrections in the VMS - -JKP- - 21-01-2016

(21-01-2016, 10:40 AM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The character in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is slightly different, and probably even more strange, because, in contrast to &135, it cannot be "decomposed" into the regular base symbol and tail modifier. And it was classified in extended EVA on its own as &143.

What do you think of line 2 ending in f19r? Does not seem to be a later addition, does it? Was it meant to correct o to y?

I've been puzzling over that one myself and I'm not sure. It's difficult to tell if it's a later addition but it is possible.

I'm pretty sure I know why it's positioned as it is. The reason I think it MIGHT be a later addition is partly because of the angularity, partly because it's at the edge of the line (which appears characteristic of some of these additions), and... partly because it's superscripted.

In Latin script, the "9" glyphs are mostly at the end of words, occasionally at the beginning, and once-in-a-while mid-word (or alone). The VMS main text follows this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in a consistent way. Some scribes wrote this character inline, and some as a superscript, and some did it both ways according to whim. I think it may have been unintentionally written, by habit, as a superscript, whether by the main VMS scribe or someone else, I don't know.

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Wladimir D - 20-03-2016

on page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. washed away symbols "S" and "y" (or bracket) and damaged "T". T program reads like a "d".

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Anton - 20-03-2016

(20-03-2016, 07:20 PM)Wladimir D Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.on page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. washed away symbols "S" and "y" (or bracket) and damaged "T". T program reads like a "d".

I agree that y is scraped out after okchd.

Where are those "S" and "T"?

RE: Corrections in the VMS - Wladimir D - 20-03-2016

I see so