The Voynich Ninja
Beatus map - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Beatus map (/thread-1356.html)

Pages: 1 2

Beatus map - ReneZ - 28-12-2016

In You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  ,  a "Beatus map" was mentioned. Petersen referred to it in connection with the lower right circle in the Rosettes page.
Evidently, he is referring to this map, also known as the Osma Beatus map:

[Image: Beatus-of-Osma-map.jpg]

The rectangular part with Andrew's cross refers to "paradisus".
It is indeed a tempting likeness.

RE: Beatus map - Helmut Winkler - 28-12-2016

I suppose Petersen was thinking of the Beatus von Liebana world map

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., lower part under Weltkarte

RE: Beatus map - juergenw - 28-12-2016

(28-12-2016, 08:05 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  ,  a "Beatus map" was mentioned. Petersen referred to it in connection with the lower right circle in the Rosettes page.
Evidently, he is referring to this map, also known as the Osma Beatus map:

The rectangular part with Andrew's cross refers to "paradiso".
It is indeed a tempting likeness.

Konrad Miller (1895 quoted in the paper below) described and analysed the phylogeny of the Beatus -type maps. There are 14 maps in total if I remember correctly. The one you copied is the (single) one with the saints/apostles. I compared it back then with another one ( B You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ; paper is in the library You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - this led me to suggest Asia (due to the location of paradise in the eastern region) deducting other things mentioned elsewhere. Others commented on the comparison with the Beatus map elsewhere (Nick Pellings blog).

RE: Beatus map - Linda - 29-12-2016

I see several connections with various Beatus Maps and MS408. Some have tubes for rivers (Paris). Some have mountains that are similar to those drawn in the MS (London). Some have people/angels that look like our nymphs. I just noticed that Turin has, near Eve, some tubey rivers around a mountain that resemble those near the nymph that some of us were talking about as depicting Temperence. It also has a good example of the crossed-eyeball-looking rivers in Africa that I think are paralleled in the MS. The similarities mixed amongst so many different versions through space and time made me think that someone was studying these and commenting on the differences.

[Image: droppedImage_2.png]
[Image: droppedImage_5.png]

With regard to the paradise map of rivers, the Milan Mapa de Ona version has that too: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Beatus map - Diane - 30-12-2016

"... In Europe, where the Etymologiae of Isidore of Seville served as the equivalent of an encyclopaedia for many centuries, and  – along with the Peutinger table  influenced (for example) the Beatus group of maps.."

which I had considered as prelude to conducting a complete analysis of the Voynich map.

The quote is from a post which Rene certainly read, but may well have forgotten since it was published way back in 2012:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I concluded however that in basics such as orientation, position of east and west etc., and in particulars such as the emergence of the rivers from North, not East, that there was no connection between the Voynich manuscript's map and the Beatus group.

Others may read the evidence and argument (all 28 posts' worth) and come to a different conclusion of course.  But the work has been done, and it is only fair to let others know it has been done.

RE: Beatus map - Linda - 31-12-2016

Many of the featured items match what I see as features outlined in quire 13.

1. the two rivers to the left of center at bottom correspond with the two river systems I equate with the double rainbow, overland routes through Spain.
2. the river which travels to the Adriatic Sea matches up with the Po and the various other water bodies shown in that part of the quire. There is also a river on the other side of the Adriatic which matches up with how to get to the Black Sea overland in the quire.
3. the river coming off the Caspian Sea into a mountain that then has two other rivers going into the Persian Gulf is just as it is portrayed in quire 13.

This particular map doesn't seem to contain some of the other features like the Pharos Canal but other examples of the maps do appear to.

RE: Beatus map - -JKP- - 28-10-2017

It's hard to search "T-O" or "map" on this forum (it won't accept 3-letter search terms) and I don't have time to hunt for a better thread, but at least it's a related topic... here is a copy of the oldest Armenian T-O map, and someone has done us the favor of translating it into English:

[Image: 1438347512_image2.jpeg] [Image: 1438342664_image1-640x727.jpeg]

[Matenadaran, Yerevan, MS 1242, fol. 132r. Image credit: Director of the Matenadaran.]

RE: Beatus map - -JKP- - 28-10-2017

That's strange... has something in the forum software changed? We used to be able to click on a down-sized image and see it full-sized. When I click on the map, nothing happens.

RE: Beatus map - VViews - 28-10-2017

I may be wrong but I believe this feature only works if you add the image as an attachment, not if pasted into the body of the post.
I wish I could see the larger image of the translated map! Great find!

RE: Beatus map - Koen G - 28-10-2017

You can open it in a new tab, works for me at least.