The Voynich Ninja
[split] VM text as algorithm - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: [split] VM text as algorithm (/thread-1353.html)

Pages: 1 2

[split] VM text as algorithm - Searcher - 26-12-2016

The VMs is a programm, not computer, but handwritten one. It must not be read, it is run and it just functions. Of course, it can be written and it is written by a medieval programmer. You could read a source code to understand the function of this program, if you know this especial programming language.  As it is doubtful, it keeps and will keep on functioning to its finish line.

RE: VALUE - Diane - 26-12-2016

Searcher -
Computer programs use a binary number system.

computus manualis as it is sometimes called could be described as reducing to a quinary (base-5) system, and among the other examples we have, I've always thought Stolfo's 'hand' especially interesting.

If any reader has Spanish, and the inclination, the appeal I posted almost two years ago remains unanswered.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I seem to recall that one of the early researchers - was it Newbold? - posited a base-5 for the cipher text.

All the above with the caveat that I'm not convinced the text is in cipher at all. Thiniking something unlikely, though, is all the more reason to explore the possibility imo.

RE: VALUE - Searcher - 27-12-2016

(26-12-2016, 11:12 PM)Diane Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Searcher -
Computer programs use a binary number system.

computus manualis as it is sometimes called could be described as reducing to a quinary (base-5) system, and among the other examples we have, I've always thought Stolfo's 'hand' especially interesting.

I seem to recall that one of the early researchers - was it Newbold? - posited a base-5 for the cipher text.
Diane,
actually, that was the other point. I didn't mean that the text is written in the code similar to a computer binary code or similar to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.(quinary, as you say) cipher. Although I don't consider it seriously, but I think, hypothetically, it could be possible that the VMs is a program. I mean programming in its exact sense: to program something to perform some function, but not to be just a cipher. Speaking about medieval programming, it can't be a computer code to program a book or another thing, usually we call this magic. You probably know about the magic of talismans. On the esoteric level, it is just a programming with use of symbols, magic words and spells, in general. So, imagine that the VMs is a special nontrivial huge talisman, sealed book, which performs one or a few functions. We could suppose, only one or two pages represent some real and readable information, the rest is just a source code unappropriated for reading.
Generally speaking, it is more joke, than the serious supposition, but, if it turn out to be true, I won't be surprised.  Wink   Why could I think about this? Difficulty with deciphering, frequent repetitions of similar and same word combinations quite confuse me and get me thinking even about this  Smile

RE: VALUE - ThomasCoon - 27-12-2016

(26-12-2016, 11:00 PM)Searcher Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The VMs is a programm, not computer, but handwritten one. It must not be read, it is run and it just functions.

(27-12-2016, 11:43 AM)Searcher Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Why could I think about this? Difficulty with deciphering, frequent repetitions of similar and same word combinations quite confuse me and get me thinking even about this  Smile

I strongly believe that is a possibility - that the VMS may not be "text" but "meta-text" - i.e. a line/paragraph is a set of "instructions" that are input into some table / chart which produces deciphered output.

Many VMS features point us towards this conclusion: the rigid word structure, the placement of specific glyphs/bigrams in specific places in the line, the Line as a Functional Unit, etc.

RE: VALUE - Koen G - 27-12-2016

In that case I would surely expect that there are two systems in place, one text-like for labels etc and one instruction-like.

RE: VALUE - ThomasCoon - 27-12-2016

(27-12-2016, 03:44 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In that case I would surely expect that there are two systems in place, one text-like for labels etc and one instruction-like.

True, that remains a problem for my theory - how to explain labels...

RE: VALUE - -JKP- - 27-12-2016

Although it's straying off-topic, I'm with searcher and ThomasCoon on this. There is something different going on in the text and it may well be "algorithmic" in some way, in the broadest sense of the term.

RE: [split] VM text as algorithm - Koen G - 27-12-2016

This is an interesting topic, how the text could be behaving as an algorithm. I split out the relevant posts to give it its own thread.

RE: VALUE - Koen G - 28-12-2016

(27-12-2016, 10:41 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Although it's straying off-topic, I'm with searcher and ThomasCoon on this. There is something different going on in the text and it may well be "algorithmic" in some way, in the broadest sense of the term.

So do we think algorithmic as in producing a different text, or rather as in producing a real life result like making a table or solving a rubiks cube?

RE: [split] VM text as algorithm - stellar - 29-12-2016

The VMS is not a language, but rather letters placed in a non-uniform way which produces numbers that are associated to words.  If the VMS was a language then a simple frequency count would have matched it to a language and it would have been decoded long ago.  Yes the VMS does have a frequency to it, because the Author used specific letters to form vords in greater numbers then others.  I have proved that I can extract valuable information using my system from the labels and even Coon found in the 3 starting vords, "Water Lily Plant" from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..  The VMS does have low entropy for a language.

I have heard of another approach to the VMS which uses abbreviated Latin words as affix's and suffix's, but I'm not that knowledgeable with Latin.  I think this is like the work of Searcher or Yula May.  This other method does sound strong, but if it is why are we still at no resolution to the VMS.  Maybe ReneZ can jump in and comment regarding that approach or JKP and Coon, perhaps Searcher.

Searcher have you found a way using Latin to find the Zodiac words yet from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.?

I do see a program some day which uses an entire Old English Dictionary associated with Gematria numbers next to each word and code integrated with appropriate grammar; that connects to my cipher applied to the VMS vords, which will unravel the entire VMS corpus.  Maybe a couple of glyphs are off in the cipher and if so someone or even I will place them in their appropriate place marks.

I already have an entire dictionary and a star list which has the Gematria Numbers next to them.  I'm not a programmer and if anyone knows of a programmer that can help me with this project. I would need a grant to hire a programmer to tackle this.

This is the only way I know how to prove my method and as the labels indicate I am on to something here, but what I lack is programming skills.