The Voynich Ninja
Rosettes page upper left corner - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Rosettes page upper left corner (/thread-1215.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Rosettes page upper left corner - Karenina - 30-11-2016

Just a small question I can't find any answer to: is there is a word written in the upper left corner of the Rosettes page (left above the image of the sun)?

RE: Rosettes page upper left corner - VViews - 30-11-2016

Yes, I'd say it definitely looks like there is a word, or maybe two:
Something like: r(or s)-a-ch-gallows character-y and then perhaps a second word, although all of this is quite badly faded.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Rosettes page upper left corner - Koen G - 30-11-2016

There is certainly writing there, but it's very hard and deceptive. I agree with VViews' observations, only I have a hard time spotting any gallows character.

RE: Rosettes page upper left corner - VViews - 30-11-2016

I'm unsure about the gallows character too, because although I see two ascenders on the Jason Davies site, they seems to have disappeared in the Beinecke high-res scan.
Maybe there are none.

RE: Rosettes page upper left corner - Koen G - 30-11-2016

I remember there was a forum member who had spent a lot of effort trying to get the most out of the writing on the edges of this foldout, though on a personal website. Was it Searcher?

RE: Rosettes page upper left corner - Anton - 01-12-2016

Yes it was Searcher. She argues that there is some plain text (don't remember off-hand which one).  But I am sure that's a Voynichese word (or two), only the corner is bent and thus it looks a bit distorted.

RE: Rosettes page upper left corner - ReneZ - 02-12-2016

The 1960's copyflo may have shown it, but I don't have my copy anymore.
Before that, Theodore Petersen made a complete hand transcription of the MS, starting in 1931.
Where he could not read the photostats clearly, he asked ELV to look at the MS.
He has a fairly clear transcription, which says  saeeasaC .

RE: Rosettes page upper left corner - Wladimir D - 02-12-2016

What is in this corner above and to the left (zoom in on). This micro drawings, or deception of light and shade?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=958]

RE: Rosettes page upper left corner - Searcher - 03-12-2016

Quote:Yes it was Searcher. She argues that there is some plain text (don't remember off-hand which one).  But I am sure that's a Voynichese word (or two), only the corner is bent and thus it looks a bit distorted.

Yes, it was me Wink . I always was interested what people see there and was surprised why no information is in the Beinecke Library about this. I put my edited images here, some of you know my opinion, but anyone can decide for himself what there is. Everyone can write here his opinion, so, maybe Undecided , in the end, we will come to some common conclusion.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=962]

RE: Rosettes page upper left corner - Koen G - 03-12-2016

If I try to read it like Latin letters the best I can do is "Ratrib?"  Big Grin

As good a question as any, really.

Seriously though I think it's Voynichese that's been distorted somewhat by the material. The drawings reaxh all the way to the edge across the top, so it's not strange to get a word or label there.