The Voynich Ninja
Currier A and B - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Currier A and B (/thread-120.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Currier A and B - Koen G - 03-05-2019

Is there any consensus of the classification of Q20 folios according to the text's properties?

RE: Currier A and B - ReneZ - 03-05-2019

At the high level it is clearly all Currier-B.
However, there are strong page-dependent variations. These can be seen most easily at the word level.
This could simply be a vocabulary effect, e.g. if each paragraph is a short self-standing piece of text (recipe).

I wouldn't say that there is consensus about this.

RE: Currier A and B - Koen G - 03-05-2019

Thanks, Rene. Do you think groups of folios can be singled out or is it too erratic?

RE: Currier A and B - ReneZ - 03-05-2019

The most conspicuous word is qokeey / qokeey .

On some pages in Q20 it is rather frequent and on others it is almost non-existent.
However, when I looked at this closer, many years ago, it seemed to me that the boundaries did not coincide exactly with the page boundaries.

Another word that follows a similar pattern is shey / Shey .

This was based on statistics 'per page'.
There may be more words that tend to appear in clusters, but of which the cluster boundaries are not near pages boundaries.
It's one of many things that still requires a closer look.

RE: Currier A and B - -JKP- - 03-05-2019

That reminds me, I have another draft blog I need to finish (I have 41 blogs that are about 80% written and that's not counting the plant blogs I took offline years ago that I need to re-upload). It describes a couple of particularly interesting word-clusters in the big-plants section that are very relevant to the discussion of shifts and clusters.

Aside: Sigh... I've discovered that blogging is similar to programming in one way... When you think you are 80% done, you discover that the last 20% consists of all the things that could not be done readily, or for which you have to look things up that are difficult to find (or to re-find), or you are waiting on someone else (who isn't coming through), or for which there is SOME kind of snafu that is difficult to resolve... and thus the last 20% always turns out to be the hardest 80%. Programmers and climbers know what I mean when I call it a "false summit".

RE: Currier A and B - Linda - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 05:13 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.That reminds me, I have another draft blog I need to finish (I have 41 blogs that are about 80% written and that's not counting the plant blogs I took offline years ago that I need to re-upload). It describes a couple of particularly interesting word-clusters in the big-plants section that are very relevant to the discussion of shifts and clusters.

Aside: Sigh... I've discovered that blogging is similar to programming in one way... When you think you are 80% done, you discover that the last 20% consists of all the things that could not be done readily, or for which you have to look things up that are difficult to find (or to re-find), or you are waiting on someone else (who isn't coming through), or for which there is SOME kind of snafu that is difficult to resolve... and thus the last 20% always turns out to be the hardest 80%. Programmers and climbers know what I mean when I call it a "false summit".

Striving for inclusive perfection and not posting anything is worse than posting the 80% you have with the intention of getting to the rest later, even if you never do...

RE: Currier A and B - -JKP- - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 10:01 PM)Linda Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

Striving for inclusive perfection and not posting anything is worse than posting the 80% you have with the intention of getting to the rest later, even if you never do...

I'm not striving for anything close to perfection. I get queasy just looking at my past blogs and seeing how much I left out, how much I compromised my standards.

I've learned that posting partial information can be quite disastrous. Not only is the information often misconstrued (or simply not understood in its wider context), but researchers see the germ of the idea and go running off to find the missing parts when I already have it sitting on my hard drive. This creates a great deal of duplicated effort and sometimes even backlash when I say I already have that and they say, "Oh yeah? If you have it why didn't you post it?"

Maybe that's why I have such a huge backlog. It's largely because I don't have sufficient time to finish up the details and find all the links, but it's also because I'd actually rather not post than post it incomplete because of unpleasant experiences in the past.

RE: Currier A and B - Linda - 04-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 10:10 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.[quote="Linda" pid='27135' dateline='1556917289']

I'm not striving for anything close to perfection. I get queasy just looking at my past blogs and seeing how much I left out, how much I compromised my standards.

I've learned that posting partial information can be quite disastrous. Not only is the information often misconstrued (or simply not understood in its wider context), but researchers see the germ of the idea and go running off to find the missing parts when I already have it sitting on my hard drive. This creates a great deal of duplicated effort and sometimes even backlash when I say I already have that and they say, "Oh yeah? If you have it why didn't you post it?"

Maybe that's why I have such a huge backlog. It's largely because I don't have sufficient time to finish up the details and find all the links, but it's also because I'd actually rather not post than post it incomplete because of unpleasant experiences in the past.

I can understand that. It is just that we hear you say you have scads of research you haven't posted and we wanna see it :Smile

I dont think duplication of effort is necessarily bad, someone might make a tangential connection that leads to new considerations and directions for more research, or find that one elusive precursor to a certain image.

RE: Currier A and B - -JKP- - 04-05-2019

(04-05-2019, 03:38 PM)Linda Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....
I can understand that. It is just that we hear you say you have scads of research you haven't posted and we wanna see it :Smile

I dont think duplication of effort is necessarily bad, someone might make a tangential connection that leads to new considerations and directions for more research, or find that one elusive precursor to a certain image.

I agree that good researchers will sometimes do this. Unfortunately, most of the time what happens is I see people digging up the same stuff I already have and I feel rather deflated because it doesn't move the research forward.

I'm going to try to take some time off this fall (this is difficult when you are running a business). If it works out, I'll devote more cycles to the VMS research and try to get caught up. For the time being most of my research and blogging occurs between midnight and 4:00 am, when I should be sleeping, and my forum posts are always rather hit-and-run.  Dull

RE: Currier A and B - Wladimir D - 05-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 12:31 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Is there any consensus of the classification of Q20 folios according to the text's properties?

More typical for the language “B” are chedy and  shedy (there are very few of them in the language “A”), but despite this, when analyzing the words Q20, I had doubts about the belonging of bifolio 105-114 to the language “B”.[font=Eva] [/font]
distribution of words in the pages of bifolio chedy (1-0-2-4)      [font=Eva]shedy [/font](7-3-9-4)

It should be noted that for three pages out of four “volume of overlapping information” V()1r >V()ep.