The Voynich Ninja
The Equatorie of the Planetis cont'd - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: The Equatorie of the Planetis cont'd (/thread-1194.html)

The Equatorie of the Planetis cont'd - -JKP- - 28-11-2016

VViews, I can't post to your interesting thread because it's in the library section, but the last image you posted reminded me of something I'd seen.

Here is a physical embodiment of the curvy shapes in the drawing you posted, from an astrolabe designed in the 15th century by Fusoris. This example (I don't know if it's a reproduction or an original) is in the Adler Planetarium and Astronomy Museum:

[Image: 1_c2b0_messahallach_tractatus_de_-_btv1b9077005g.jpeg]   [Image: Fusoris%20Front%2012M.JPG]

RE: The Equatorie of the Planetis cont'd - VViews - 28-11-2016

Thanks JKP! The manuscript is earlier, so it or a similar one probably served as the model for that astrolabe.
I still wonder what the stringy shapes refer to in the original.
It has crossed my mind that Ptolemaic astronomy and trigonometry uses "You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view." for calculating the position of stars. Could it be that the strings in this MS and in the Voynich are a distorted reference to this, turning chords into strings?
ETA: I'm aware that ptolemaic chords are straight, not wavy, but I'm trying to find some train of thought that may have led to the Voynich "stars on strings" motif.

RE: The Equatorie of the Planetis cont'd - -JKP- - 28-11-2016

(28-11-2016, 04:12 PM)VViews Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Thanks JKP! The manuscript is earlier, so it or a similar one probably served as the model for that astrolabe.
I still wonder what the stringy shapes refer to in the original.
It has crossed my mind that Ptolemaic astronomy and trigonometry uses "You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view." for calculating the position of stars. Could it be that the strings in this MS and in the Voynich are a distorted reference to this, turning chords into strings?
ETA: I'm aware that ptolemaic chords are straight, not wavy, but I'm trying to find some train of thought that may have led to the Voynich "stars on strings" motif.

Here's one that shows the pointers in more detail. It's an incredible piece of work, considering it was made c. 10th century. There's an brief summary under the picture:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: The Equatorie of the Planetis cont'd - VViews - 28-11-2016

Wow, yes, that is really amazing!
So it was the other way around, with the Paris Ms imitating a physical object.
I find these wavy pointers very similar to the strings the stars are attached to in the Voynich.

RE: The Equatorie of the Planetis cont'd - -JKP- - 28-11-2016

(28-11-2016, 04:24 PM)VViews Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Wow, yes, that is really amazing!
So it was the other way around, with the Paris Ms imitating a physical object.
I find these wavy pointers very similar to the strings the stars are attached to in the Voynich.

Here's something I just found that uses strings and a compass-board to help create a navigation log:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Fascinating stuff. So glad you started this topic.