The Voynich Ninja
The fairy tale of Aristotle and the seven elements - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Provenance & history (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: The fairy tale of Aristotle and the seven elements (/thread-1184.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: The fairy tale of Aristotle and the seven elements - Anton - 29-11-2016

Quote:Why make it -a priori- more difficult than what we see,  let's make it childishly simple: it is what we see: a picture and a label.
I prefer that as starting point and not the more complex scenarios.

Actually that's no different ranks of complexity. If a piece of sugar is depicted with the word "sugar" beside, it is as "complex" as a piece of sugar with the word "white" or with the word "sweet".

I'm quite sure that all those Voynich charts are not an end to themselves, but serve for practical purposes (of predicting, healing or whatever). In other words, they are not just "educational", but "application-specific".

RE: The fairy tale of Aristotle and the seven elements - Davidsch - 29-11-2016

I prefer to reason from different angles. Here my angle is: what if....?

The thread is really about the suggestion that if there are these elements as I propose,  and If the labels are literally that,  why is "opy"repeated, as described ?

If they are something else, they are related. 
Perhaps properties, attributes, alright,  but what examples are out there ?

The last sentence of your comment Anton, I do not understand, why not "educational", but "application-specific" ?
What do you mean ?

RE: The fairy tale of Aristotle and the seven elements - Anton - 29-11-2016

By "educational" I mean descriptive, e.g. providing a map of the world in which the names of the continents are specified. Looking at such map, one can "educate" himself about the existence of the continents.

In conrast to that, if instead of the continents' names the map contained, say, names of products supplied by those continents (like corn for Europe, ivory for Africa, silk for Asia, ice for Antarctica etc.), that would have been what I called "application-specific".

Quote:Perhaps properties, attributes, alright,  but what examples are out there ?

The examples are essentially negative - like one haven't succeeded yet in matching Voynichese labels found in vicinity of recognized patterns to those patterns' names. I mean the T-O map or the 12-objects sequences like in f67r1, f67r2. Not only there's no match in terms of exact match, but even in terms of edit distance.

RE: The fairy tale of Aristotle and the seven elements - Davidsch - 30-11-2016

I'm sure there are similar manuscripts, mappa mundi, book of hours etc. with possibilities of the names. Those possibilities are interesting.
For example already mentioned were:  12 winds, 12 zodiacs.  There must be more ideas surely. That is interesting to me, ideas. Solutions will follow.

I also do not understand the reaction of Koen & Juergen; my observation is totally unique and my approach is new.
Why are you both treating this as an obsolete posting?

But perhaps, after contemplation, I mis-understood and I had to read between the lines that you prefer I do not post things like this anymore.
That's fine but I did not pick that up before. 

note
- edit distance - perhaps you take interest in reading my research findings You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: The fairy tale of Aristotle and the seven elements - juergenw - 30-11-2016

(30-11-2016, 01:19 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....
For example already mentioned were:  12 winds, 12 zodiacs.  There must be more ideas surely. That is interesting to me, ideas. Solutions will follow.

I also do not understand the reaction of Koen & Juergen; my observation is totally unique and my approach is new.

But perhaps, after contemplation, I mis-understood and I had to read between the lines that you prefer I do not post things like this anymore.

Dear Davidsch

by no means was my response meant in the way you thought it was and by no means did I treat your posting as obsolete and it was not meant in any way to distract you from posting things like this anymore.
I said that it was interesting to start with! I thought I saw it mentioned before, but couldn't find it any longer, so I can't provide a source and I treat your approach as described as new in that respect.

Not sure if you saw that page before, butYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. )

some (medieval) maps and diagrams I saw also introduce word-play and acronyms (e.g. mundus, homo, adam and your aforementioned cosmos). Will check if I have more in my collection.

RE: The fairy tale of Aristotle and the seven elements - juergenw - 30-11-2016

(30-11-2016, 01:19 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

Dear Davidsch

by no means was my response meant in the way you thought it was and by no means did I treat your posting as obsolete and it was not meant in any way to distract you from posting things like this anymore.
I said that it was interesting to start with! I thought I saw it mentioned before, but couldn't find it any longer, so I can't provide a source and I treat your approach as described as new in that respect.

Not sure if you saw that page before, but  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. some facts about 12 ...

some (medieval) maps and diagrams I saw also introduce word-play and acronyms (e.g. mundus, homo, adam and your aforementioned cosmos). Will check if I have more in my collection.

RE: The fairy tale of Aristotle and the seven elements - Davidsch - 30-11-2016

Thanks for the link Juergen, I did not know:

"In English, twelve is the largest number that has just one syllable"

It is just a general idea, feeling I get sometimes. But I get so occupied in things I do not always notice that it's a load of nonsense what I write.
But only afterwards, after a week or two I realize that. So when I get that feeling, it is probably correct.

On the other end: 
I am doing serious research and there are only a few people who bring anything new, founded and argumented research & results to the table. The interest in it is very very low, for me it was an experiment to see, what and when things are picked up. The audience for things like this is very thin and those people interested are often only interested in things that are an easy read, or texts on which they can tell what they think themselves.