The Voynich Ninja
The Voynich Pipes - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: The Voynich Pipes (/thread-1161.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: The Voynich Pipes - -JKP- - 27-11-2016

(27-11-2016, 11:02 AM)Helmut Winkler Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.something like "path"? 

Yes, something like that. currus in classical Latin  is a wagon or cart, but a Medieval latinist would think of the verb currere/to run as well and invent a new meaning like " the running of the stars"

If they did mean to write curru rather than cursu, then perhaps the wagon they mean is a "chariot". The gods/constellations were often depicted in chariots (especially the sun god, but often some of the others).

I just looked at the original. Could it be "intuitu" (look, view, glance) rather than "in curru"?

I think it is "intuitu". Look at the end of the word right above it, where it says "_____tu[m]", it's written the same way, with the old-style "t".

RE: The Voynich Pipes - Anton - 27-11-2016

Returning to the peculiarities of those charts as compared with the Voynich pipes.

In the thread "Early Telescope", Rene referenced a German article: "Der Mönch mit dem Sehrohr" available here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (use Ctrl+F to search on the page, and then the PDF is downloadable).

Unfortunately I cannot read German in such volumes fluently, but what attracted my attention was the figure on page 374 (page 9 in the PDF file) reproducing a chart from Vat. lat. 644. Here we have pipes of alternating length. Unfortunately, the number of divisions here is 24 (I presume that's for 24 hours), and not 28. But what does the alternating length stand for? Could anyone please read the article and advise?

RE: The Voynich Pipes - stellar - 27-11-2016

[Image: gematria-cipher-voynich-tom-oneil-2016-november-251.png]

[Image: f69v.png?w=840]

Simply click on a word or phrase and it will show the code behind the word or phrase.    Then do a search for the terms using the find in your upper right google find bar for the phrase or search word in the Gematria list of words and phrases.  The code word corresponds from the letters to the voynich glyph’s in my cipher from the Pythagorean Voynich Gematria chart.

[font=Merriweather, Georgia, serif]1) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. 2) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. 3) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. 4) Null 5) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

6) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. 7) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.[/font]

Hi stellar,

At the moment we are puzzled by that the pipes are 28 in number (not 12 or 24, for the number of hours) and that their length is alternating. Do you have any idea why that's the case?

(27-11-2016, 03:02 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Hi stellar,

At the moment we are puzzled by that the pipes are 28 in number (not 12 or 24, for the number of hours) and that their length is alternating. Do you have any idea why that's the case?

I'll need some time and you guys may not like the answer, but since I have been using numerology all this time. The number 28 is a 30 so maybe it indicates 30° divisions.  The alternating pipes length may deal with the stars magnitude of brightness.

Wrong answer sorry.

RE: The Voynich Pipes - Koen G - 27-11-2016

Anton:

The first point I noticed is that the star divides the sky in eight parts. This is the case in a number of other charts in this section. Perhaps this eight-part system corresponds to the 24 hours? (24/3=8)

Maybe the pipes represents measurements one can/should make? Just looking at the pipes, if you see what they are "looking at", it's usually an alignment of stars (in the blue section).

(27-11-2016, 03:02 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Hi stellar,

These seems to make sense.  It says about 13 and seeing that half the pipes are shorter I wonder how close the short pipes were to the number 14.

Quote:Arabic mansions[You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.]

In the traditional You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., the moon was seen to move through 28 distinct manazil (singular: manzil = house) during the normal solar year, each manzil lasting, therefore, for about 13 days. One or more manazil were then grouped into a nawaa (pluaral anwaa) which were tied to a given weather pattern. In other words, the yearly pattern was divided in the following manner:You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. A year was divided into anwaa, each of which was made up of one more manazil, which were associated with a dominant star or constellation. These stars and constellations were sometimes, but not always, connected in some way to constellations in the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. Moreover, as the anwaa' repeat on a regular, solar cycle, they can be correlated to fixed points on the Gregorian calendar.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

(27-11-2016, 03:21 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The first point I noticed is that the star divides the sky in eight parts. This is the case in a number of other charts in this section. Perhaps this eight-part system corresponds to the 24 hours? (24/3=8)

Maybe the pipes represents measurements one can/should make? Just looking at the pipes, if you see what they are "looking at", it's usually an alignment of stars (in the blue section).

There are six divisions in some VMS charts instead. And how number 8 would refer to 24 hours, unless the author was a working class activist ("8 hours to work, 8 hours to sleep, 8 hours spare"), I fail to understand Smile 

Not the pipes themselves are strange (in the German article there are examples of charts without pipes, so pipes essentially stand for something that could be represented without involving pipes), but the alternation in their length.

RE: The Voynich Pipes - Oocephalus - 27-11-2016

I've looked at the Wiesenbach paper, and it says the pipes indeed stand for the 24 hours. The explanation given by René in the other thread is correct. The paper doesn't give any explanation as for why the pipes alternate in length. Maybe just to make them easier to count?
One interesting detail: The star revolving around the pole that was used to calculate the time was actually today's Pole Star (Polaris), which in the early middle ages was less close to the pole due to precession. The star used as pole star was probably the faint star 32 H Camelopardalis.

RE: The Voynich Pipes - MarcoP - 27-11-2016

VViews hare recently written about the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

It features an interesting wind diagram:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

BTW, I think the flags at the corner are used to mark directions from the point of view of central Germany:
blue/white checkers: Bavaria / South
Lilies: France / West
Scales: ??? / North
Red/White: Austria / East