The Voynich Ninja
The Voynich Pipes - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: The Voynich Pipes (/thread-1161.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: The Voynich Pipes - Anton - 25-11-2016

Flavius Mithridates would be closer to the time than Agrippa. Is there a description of his view on mansions anywhere on the Internet?

RE: The Voynich Pipes - MarcoP - 25-11-2016

A couple of years ago, the subject was mentioned on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. The mansions of the moon are a perfect fit for the number of pipes. This idea also appears on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.: The 28 words are very reminiscent of the 28 mansions of the moon.

My opinion is that the "pipes" are suggestive of the winds, see for instance the four figures in the corners of the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in Girona.
The winds were thought of as alternating between major and minor (like the long and short pipes). This was based on Greek-Roman literary sources. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. quotes Svetonius: “Four winds blow from the four parts of the world, each maintaining two companions inferior to it.”
But number 28 is not compatible with any wind-system I know of.

RE: The Voynich Pipes - stellar - 25-11-2016

Anton,

Anton thanks for bringing this topic up  Smile

This is a great find, because Sirius hangs low in the horizon through out the year and I believe the pipes relate to the Dog's Star Positions swaying from East to West and back and forth. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Quote:From Africa, where the Dogons live, the star Sirius disappears below the horizon and is out of sight for a couple of months; then it appears again on the morning of July 23, when it rises about one minute before the Sun. It appears bright ruby-red, just above the horizon, almost exactly due east. Sixty seconds later the Sun emerges. So you can see Sirius for just a moment, then it's gone. This is called the helical rising of Sirius, which was a very important moment for most of the ancient world, not just for the Dogons and Egypt.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

[Image: sirius88.gif]

I did some research with my improved cipher and the key word for the vord is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., "okeod".

[Image: tubes.png]

Well I looked up a key from my cipher, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., and the best fit was Stratosphere for the VMS vord, okeody

RE: The Voynich Pipes - VViews - 25-11-2016

What object has pipes of varying lengths? An organ.
See the diagrams on the right side here:

[i]Leonardo da Vinci notes (1478-1518), Arundel MS 263, f. 136r and 137v[/i]
[Image: 6a00d8341c464853ef01b8d140d29a970c-800wi]

Maybe this diagram somehow relates to celestial/divine music?

Musical scale: a set of notes ordered by pitch. Harmonic content: the notes of a scale form intervals with each of the other notes of the chord in combination. An 8 note scale has 28 intervals.
See You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Also see this diagram for an example of circular musical notation:
Berkeley Music Library MS 0744, late 14thC, France, p. 61

[Image: bk0008v1v23]
It is worth noting that this sort of thing was known as a "circular canon". Canons could also be represented by homophony, as tube or pipe-shaped objects.

RE: The Voynich Pipes - stellar - 25-11-2016

(24-11-2016, 10:02 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Yes, you are right, the star seems to bend and reach for the desired point. but the pipes are slanted as well. It looks as if the whole thing has been drawn to give each section a number of pipes. Or to make the arms of the star touch certain points. The observation remains that the design is remarkably - I would almost say purposefully - asymmetrical.

Koen Great observation,

I believe the pipes point to stars in constellations, perhaps the labels can be identified! Idea

RE: The Voynich Pipes - Anton - 25-11-2016

VViews:

That's intriguing, especially the circular diagrams in your examples. Although I'm a big fan of music, unfortunately I'm zero in the theory of music and can't play any instrument (the only time I was close to purchasing an acoustic guitar, I spent the money on a parachute jump instead). Hence I can't assess the possibility. I can only note that in our case we have the pipes of two only lengths, and those are alternating. That's not like an organ, is it?

RE: The Voynich Pipes - Koen G - 25-11-2016

It might be necessary as well to view this diagram in comparison to the one on the other side of the page, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. . Here, too, there are somewhat pipe-like structures with a "reaching" star in the middle.

Another common factor is that all but two or three of the diagrams in this entire section divide the "sky" in eight sections. Sometimes 16, but there the sections are clearly paired. This makes me suspect that the division in eight parts is of primordial importance.

Anton,
you're correct, the fact that the pipes have only two lengths is not like an organ. But it's no stranger than connecting pipes to lunar mansions on the sole basis of the number 28 (which as I've shown above, also has its importance in music, especially when related to the number 8). I'm  not saying that this folio is definitely music related, but that the idea is no more farfetched than the other explanations given so far for this folio.

Koen Gh,
I agree that the two folios should probably be considered together, which was why I had tried to suggest the merging of this thread with the one about Q10.

RE: The Voynich Pipes - -JKP- - 25-11-2016

VViews:

That's intriguing, especially the circular diagrams in your examples. Although I'm a big fan of music, unfortunately I'm zero in the theory of music and can't play any instrument (the only time I was close to purchasing an acoustic guitar, I spent the money on a parachute jump instead). Hence I can't assess the possibility. I can only note that in our case we have the pipes of two only lengths, and those are alternating. That's not like an organ, is it?
-----------------------------------------

The length (and width) of the pipe determines the pitch. To create a scale you need pipes that are progressively longer and they are usually in sequence, rather than alternating. I suppose if you have wider and narrower pipes for creating base and soprano sounds, the two "steps" could alternate, but there would still need to be a progression in size or you would only have two pitches. Also, there has to be a "safe" distance between them, carefully calculated (unless they are fused) because the interaction between the vibrating pipes would create unwanted buzzing (wolf notes).

But... metaphorical organ pipes could be drawn in many ways. I think of pin cushions, foam balls, and porcupines when I see this VMS image.   Smile