The Voynich Ninja
words in the leaves of ms LJS419 f18r - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Library and Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-35.html)
+--- Forum: Codicology and Paleography (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-48.html)
+--- Thread: words in the leaves of ms LJS419 f18r (/thread-1078.html)

Pages: 1 2

words in the leaves of ms LJS419 f18r - MarcoP - 13-11-2016

UPenn Lawrence J. Schoenberg MS LJS 419 is a XV Century Italian herbal, possibly from Veneto.

I just noticed that the leaves of the plant illustrated You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ("fugana"?) contain letters. It seems to be the same words repeated on each leaves. It seems to be clearly readable in the top left leaf: "uon" I would say.
Any idea of what this could mean? Color annotations come to mind, but "uon" does not seem to me to be like any Italian word for colors.

I think the plant could be the Eastern plant that You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. calls "fagara d'Avicenna" (tentative idea, of course).

Actually, the name of the plant reads "sup[er]ana]", from the text of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., it's clear that the first letter is an 's'.
It corresponds to one of the plants in the Alchemical herbals: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

RE: words in the leaves of ms LJS419 f18r - Anton - 13-11-2016

It does not look to me that all words are the same. Unfortunately, only "uon" is readable.

What if each leave contains only part of the word or a phrase?

RE: words in the leaves of ms LJS419 f18r - MarcoP - 13-11-2016

(13-11-2016, 12:57 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It does not look to me that all words are the same. Unfortunately, only "uon" is readable.

What if each leave contains only part of the word or a phrase?

I agree; that is a possibility.
It seems to me that the other words are also made of three letters, with something more or less circular at the center. But they are very blurred, so it's hard to tell.

Even considering "uon-" as the prefix of a six letters word, I cannot think of a possible meaning.

RE: words in the leaves of ms LJS419 f18r - Diane - 13-11-2016

Marco,
The Veneto wasn't just  "Italian"  so perhaps you might consider a wider range of dialects and languages and even a broader cultural range?

Quote:Even considering "uon-" as the prefix of a six letters word, I cannot think of a possible meaning.

Maybe there are leaves with letters before that one?

(13-11-2016, 01:16 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Quote:Even considering "uon-" as the prefix of a six letters word, I cannot think of a possible meaning.

Maybe there are leaves with letters before that one?

I am not sure I understand. In the first post I linked the image of the whole page. If one reads left to right, top to bottom, there are not other leaves before those in the first attachment.
I attach the complete page here, for convenience.

Ah sorry, I did not follow the hyperlink to the whole page Smile

My reading (and UPenn's reading) of the plant name was wrong: I updated the first post.

It's "superana", commonly "superna". One of the plants in alchemical herbals.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. displays two very rough sketches with color annotations.
I guess the "u" in the leaves is actually a "v" for viridis (Latin) or verde (Italian): green.

The roots of the plant on the right were painted in red and are labled "r" (rubeus/rosso).
I can't read nor understand the annotation next to the roots of the plant on the left (it looks like "3n").

The Italian text under the plants seems to me to be written in the same hand as the name of the plant in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (superana / superna) and the Latin text in f18v.

RE: words in the leaves of ms LJS419 f18r - Helmut Winkler - 13-11-2016

(it looks like "3n")

It looks to me like a common abbr. for tertia or tria, 3 and a raised a (he writes his a's in this way), but I really don't know what it could mean in this context