The Voynich Ninja
[Imagery] The root of the plant at the top right of f89r1 is animal-shaped - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Tasks (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-28.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich tasks (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-32.html)
+---- Forum: Positions we can agree upon (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-53.html)
+---- Thread: [Imagery] The root of the plant at the top right of f89r1 is animal-shaped (/thread-1070.html)

Pages: 1 2

The root of the plant at the top right of f89r1 is animal-shaped - MarcoP - 11-11-2016

Statement: The root of the plant at the top right of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. was drawn to suggest an elongated animal.

Explanation: The head of the animal is represented in profile, in the upper part of the root. An eye and the mouth were drawn. The base of the stem of the plant corresponds to the mouth of the animal.

[NOTE:  the original statement was
"The root of the plant at the top right of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. was drawn to suggest an elongated animal with forked tail". 
In the comments, it was pointed out that the forked tail might be two secondary roots. So I removed the reference to the tail.]

RE: The root of the plant at the top right of f89r1 is animal-shaped - Koen G - 11-11-2016

Excellent wording.

RE: The root of the plant at the top right of f89r1 is animal-shaped - -JKP- - 11-11-2016

(11-11-2016, 10:10 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Statement: The root of the plant at the top right of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. was drawn to suggest an elongated animal with forked tail. 

Explanation: The head of the animal is represented in profile, in the upper part of the root. An eye and the mouth were drawn. The base of the stem of the plant corresponds to the mouth of the animal.

Because the animal is mostly recognizable in the upper part of the root, I'm not sure it's an animal with a forked tail. It's possible the end of the "tail" simply represents a root.

I'll agree that the upper part resembles an animal. Serpents were often drawn this way in the middle ages, although it's hard to tell for certain if a serpent/dragon were intended.

If it is a serpent or dragon, it's still hard to determine what it means. A serpent in a plant drawing had a wide variety of meanings. It could refer to the plant name (e.g., serpentina), it could mean the plant was good for snake bite, it could mean the plant was poisonous, or it could mean that there was a kind of snake with a name that was alphabetically next to the name of the plant, just as a goose might be drawn after a picture of a gallium plant.

RE: The root of the plant at the top right of f89r1 is animal-shaped - VViews - 12-11-2016

I pretty much agree with what JKP wrote here. 
The head is probably a head, the tail part i'm not so sure.
What animal is it supposed to look like exactly anyway? I'd be curious to see... Anyone got pictures, of real or imaginary animals with four legs, a forked tail, and an extra long, serpentine neck.

RE: The root of the plant at the top right of f89r1 is animal-shaped - Koen G - 12-11-2016

Could be an eel of some sorts.

[Image: 13331_whole_eel_global.jpg]

The forked tail part is a common way to draw aquatic animals. I'm pretty sure that this is part of the animal, but if it is problematic the forked tail part can be dropped from the statement.

RE: The root of the plant at the top right of f89r1 is animal-shaped - MarcoP - 12-11-2016

Thanks to JKP, VViews and Koen.
I removed the reference to the forked tail, since you judge it dubious.

RE: The root of the plant at the top right of f89r1 is animal-shaped - Davidsch - 14-11-2016

radice di serpente
sounds good to me

RE: The root of the plant at the top right of f89r1 is animal-shaped - Anton - 06-03-2017

This one is somehow stuck-in-active. Should we add a poll?

I think the eye betrays an animal. But I'm at a loss about what animal it is. Looks like a hybrid of eel and scolopendra.

RE: The root of the plant at the top right of f89r1 is animal-shaped - Koen G - 06-03-2017

It should certainly pass with the wording boiled down to the bare essentials like it is now.

RE: The root of the plant at the top right of f89r1 is animal-shaped - Anton - 06-03-2017

Poll added. Please pay attention to the current revision of the statement as edited by Marco.