The Voynich Ninja
Considered as visionary art - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Considered as visionary art (/thread-1061.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Considered as visionary art - nablator - 09-06-2023

(09-06-2023, 02:53 PM)merrimacga Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The public, especially the lower classes, throughout time has had a taste for the - shall we say - exotic and fantastical, even crude and vulgar. I'm sure someone here could come up with some better examples.
Exotic and fantastical - The voyages of John de Mandeville (~1357)
Crude and vulgar - Gargantua & Pantagruel (1532-1534)

RE: Considered as visionary art - MarcoP - 09-06-2023

(09-06-2023, 12:41 PM)merrimacga Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I think I would hesitate to call the VM visionary art, which is a relatively new art form. Carl Jung is credited with coining the term in 1933 in his book, Modern Man in Search of a Soul. Wikipedia has a good definition, quoting or paraphrasing one of the most prominent visionary artists today, Alex Grey: "Visionary art is art that purports to transcend the physical world and portray a wider vision of awareness including spiritual or mystical themes, or is based in such experiences."

I am not sure what "a relatively new art form" means. The definition from Wikipedia clearly applies to much of medieval art. Personally, I would say that the contemporary world is more rational and materialistic, while "spiritual or mystical" better describes medieval culture.

The examples of "visionary art" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. include the Shepherd of Hermas (II Century), Dante (XIV Century) and Hypnerotomachia Poliphili by Francesco Colonna (XV Century).

RE: Considered as visionary art - Koen G - 10-06-2023

What I'm trying to get at is that the medieval audience had a different view on what fiction could and could not be. Building a world for the sake of creation is something we can understand (it is something I would enjoy doing if I had more time), but they wouldn't. They would need some additional element to justify the fiction.

Take the reception of Ovid's stories in the Middle Ages. Sometimes they would be read "as is" in schools, in this case to study Latin. No doubt the students enjoyed these tales, but they would not have created something like this themselves, and they probably would not have been exposed to the unaltered sources if it weren't for their language learning benefits.

Ovid was also disseminated in wider circles, for example as the "Ovide Moralise". These editions follow a certain pattern: first, a modified version of the story is told. Then, the author says: "you have read this weird story, now this is what is means", and then he will go on explicitly mentioning the Christian values or truths each character represents in his modified story, and the lesson that can be learned.

In the Marco Polo example, he was actually travelling. That there were fantastical elements is probably unavoidable, and will certainly have added to the appeal. But there was nothing wrong with learning about the world and distant lands. 

My point is that inventing a world simply for the sake of inventing was a foreign concept in the early 15th century. There is always a higher purpose.

Edit: just to add, there was a period in television when some shows still justified their existence by weaving in moral threads. When I was a kid, there would often be reruns of shows like the Fresh Prince of Bel Air on tv, and I was surprised by how often there was an explicit moral message. Will Smith would first display wrong behavior, and then he'd get a lecture at the end. Not to mention shows like 7th Heaven. So the thought that proper fiction educates is not entirely of the past.

RE: Considered as visionary art - nablator - 10-06-2023

John of Morigny's Liber visionum (14th century) could be a good candidate for a book that inspired the creation of some parts of the VMs. Did anyone check the diagrams for resemblance?

I am only starting to read about it so the description is a bit confusing: visions, prayers, planets, magic (rewritten Ars notoria)...

Quote:In addition, to supplement the prayers and exercises, there are figurae - or diagrams - which were collated to compose a separately classified section of the Liber visionum, contained in the third book which John calls the Liber flgurarum.

The Liber flgurarum constitutes the second system of the Liber visionum, and works in tandem with the prayers and exercises of the first system. While praying or executing the other requirements of the Liber visionum, the practitioners used imagery, mostly figures of the Virgin Mary or the planets, to focus their devotions and lead them into contemplation. Contemplation would eventually culminate in an ecstatic experience in which practitioners would receive some type of information. At the novice level this revelation would most likely have been a general understanding of a liberal art. At the advanced level, however, one could elicit specific information from the Virgin Mary. Thus at the most sophisticated levels, the Liber visionum became a method by which one could, with some consistency and relative ease, engage in mystical visions. This methodology does not differ greatly from that of the Ars Notoria, yet as one begins to analyze John's prologue, it becomes apparent that John and the practitioners of the Ars Notoria do not employ the same intercessory mediators, the beings who enable them to receive ecstatic visions.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Quote:The Books of Visions was an attempt to reconcile the goals of a condemned, medieval, ritual magic text, the Arts Notoria after which it was loosely modeled. The new magic text was a vision by the Virgin Mary to John, and unlike its predecessor, was pleasing to God and free of demonic corruption. However, the text was later considered heretical and sorcerous, and the purity of John's work was questioned. It was burned at the University of Paris in 1323.

Fanger has been working in archives across Europe and has unearthed seven extant manuscripts containing full and partial texts of the Book of Visions. She is currently working with Nicholas Watson on an edition, translation and study of the Liber florum doctrine celestis, a work including prayers, images, visions, and autobiographical materials also by John of Morigny.

Quote:John of Morigny (fl. c. 1301–15) is important both for what his writing reveals about the culture of learned magic at the turn of the fourteenth century and for his own contribution to that culture, the Liber florum celestis doctrine. The Liber florum is an unusual work, some 55,000 words in its most commonly circulated form, comprising a devotional autobiography with visions (the Book of Visions), a long liturgy for knowledge acquisition (the Book of Prayers) and a work of meditative figures (the Book of Figures). Unknown between the mid-sixteenth and late twentieth centuries, copies of the book began to be noticed in the late 1980s. The majority of its more than twenty currently known manuscripts have been found over the last fifteen years. It survives in two authorial versions, the Old Compilation (OC) (1311) and the New Compilation (NC) (1315), and two versions of a later redaction.

Manuscripts:

Salzburg, Universitätsbibliothek, M I 24
IOHANNES DE MORIGINATO
Pergament   87 Bl.   244×181   Salzburg, 1410
Illustrations here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Fully digitized here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Bologna, Biblioteca Comunale dell’ Archiginnasio MS A. 165 (16. b. III. 5)
No picture available online it seems.

More mss. listed here:

RE: Considered as visionary art - Koen G - 10-06-2023

That does look very interesting: making the "occult" more palatable by introducing Mary as an intermediary. Fanger published a book about it in 2016: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Considered as visionary art - bi3mw - 10-06-2023

Talk about the "Liber Visionum" on YouTube:
"The Operation of All Wonderfull Things:" Magic and the Occult at McMaster University Library

RE: Considered as visionary art - bi3mw - 10-06-2023

John of Morigny’s "Book of the Flowers of Heavenly Teaching" ( Liber florum celestis doctrinae )
The "Liber Visionum" is a distillation of this work.

Liber florum celestis doctrinae, John of Morigny, France, c. 1400, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.