The Voynich Ninja
bathing architecture in f78v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: bathing architecture in f78v (/thread-1050.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

bathing architecture in f78v - MarcoP - 07-11-2016

I stumbled on this illustration from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., Rudolf von Ems’s World Chronicle, Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany, about 1400–10
The windows of this wooden sauna (?) reminded me of those in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..
I would be interested in seeing more parallels for the interesting "architecture" in the Voynich illustration.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=893]

RE: bathing architecture in f78v - stellar - 07-11-2016

Quote:You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. in Bath at £14.00 each we felt was a little steep but once inside we discovered so much more than the one main outdoor bath.  There was an excellent exhibit and steam rooms and changing areas all used by the ancient Romans as more of a social meeting place rather than a place of cleansing.  Well worth the time and £’s.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Here is a well known bath house in Bath.

[Image: Bath2.jpg]

[Image: Bath11.jpg]

RE: bathing architecture in f78v - Koen G - 08-11-2016

That's green water alright.

RE: bathing architecture in f78v - -JKP- - 08-11-2016

(07-11-2016, 08:31 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I stumbled on this illustration from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., Rudolf von Ems’s World Chronicle, Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany, about 1400–10
The windows of this wooden sauna (?) reminded me of those in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..
I would be interested in seeing more parallels for the interesting "architecture" in the Voynich illustration.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=893]

Marco, I can't remember the name of it right now, because I looked at hundreds of medieval spa locations, but there was a natural spa somewhere in Italy or central Europe that had parts of it built up in Roman and medieval times with local stones so that it resembles a number of the VMS pool pages and it also, at one time, had a building with arched windows (which is described in old books but which no longer exists).

Modern spas have been built over some of these natural spa areas (especially the ones with thermal pools), so many of them have been completely obliterated.

The one I'm thinking of was next to the shore across from the natural and man-made pools and it's still fairly natural. Out of hundreds, I found about five locations in Europe and west Asia that were strikingly similar to the VMS pool pages if you take the various kinds and shapes of pools as a whole. Unfortunately, I looked them up a long time ago before I became disciplined at keeping records of where I found them, but if I can locate some of the screen snaps, I'll post them.

RE: bathing architecture in f78v - ReneZ - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 09:11 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Marco, I can't remember the name of it right now, because I looked at hundreds of medieval spa locations, but there was a natural spa somewhere in Italy or central Europe that had parts of it built up in Roman and medieval times with local stones so that it resembles a number of the VMS pool pages and it also, at one time, had a building with arched windows (which is described in old books but which no longer exists).

Modern spas have been built over some of these natural spa areas (especially the ones with thermal pools), so many of them have been completely obliterated.

The one I'm thinking of was next to the shore across from the natural and man-made pools and it's still fairly natural.

I remember reading the same, a long time ago.
However, I haven't really looked at many different ones. I mostly looked around Padua (where there are many), so I wonder if this isn't simply Pozzuoli (with Baiae etc.).

RE: bathing architecture in f78v - davidjackson - 08-11-2016

The Bath spa put on by Stellar are quite famous and near to my UK home.
The hot water has always been that colour due to the minerals they contain.
The building above is mainly 19th century but it is built on a fascinating Roman construct that was in use until then. Very interesting to go around, but I don't remember it having many windows.
On a different note, I remember coming across a Roman Saturnine face near there which reminded me of one of the heliocentric figures in the VM. Probably a coincidence.

RE: bathing architecture in f78v - Koen G - 08-11-2016

I find the perspective in this particular VM image so very weird. The women are sitting on top in green water and then below there's the windows with something blue behind them Huh

RE: bathing architecture in f78v - davidjackson - 08-11-2016

Worth pointing out the pipes on this folio connect to the other baths on the other side (see my previous posts on the subject) so you have to consider the whole folio as connected

RE: bathing architecture in f78v - -JKP- - 08-11-2016

(08-11-2016, 09:01 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I find the perspective in this particular VM image so very weird. The women are sitting on top in green water and then below there's the windows with something blue behind them Huh

Maybe it's a composite drawing (e.g., inside and outside). Here's the building (or protective structure for a bath section, not necessarily roofed)... here's what it looks like from the inside—sort of a VMS version of a "cut-away" architectural drawing so you can see what's going on on the inside and outside at the same time.

This example from Puteolis is a more conventional style of cut-away, more recognizable to 21st-century audiences. Nearby there are many buildings with interesting You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.:

[Image: BalneorumPutheolif23r.jpg]

Many of the textures in the VMS bathing pages remind me of caves, grottoes and tents, and all those motifs would fit in perfectly with some of the hike-in natural spas of the middle ages, many of which still had remnants of water pipes, built-up stones, and arched-window buildings left over from Roman times.

RE: bathing architecture in f78v - Davidsch - 10-11-2016

>>The hot water has always been that colour due to the minerals they contain.

Yes, there are many hundreds of similar bathing places in Europe with green colour all with the same "mineral coloring", (which also often proves to be metallurgic coloring)

>>I find the perspective in this particular VM image so very weird. The women are sitting on top in green water and then below there's the windows with something blue behind them 

Yes, i agree. Perhaps this building is an enlarged version of the zodiacal barrels, where the women are sitting in. 
It is weird, because bathhouses are always on low level floors, because of the heating, but also the weight of the water. On the top floors there are often sleeping and/or drinking and eating possibilities.