The Voynich Ninja
Numbering 'Recipes' - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Numbering 'Recipes' (/thread-1039.html)

Pages: 1 2

Numbering 'Recipes' - Emma May Smith - 05-11-2016

Has anybody ever devised a numbering system for the paragraphs in Quire 20?

I know that we can refer to paragraphs by page number and paragraph number, but what I want is a way of referring to a specific paragraph easily. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. p4 is hard to remember, but Recipe 46 would be a lot more memorable.

I would like such numbers so I can easily draw parallels and links between them. I'm not certain they are recipes, but it is reasonable to suppose the are the same kind of thing, whatever that may be.

If the answer is no I will make a system myself, but I don't want to replicate the work somebody else has done.

RE: Numbering 'Recipes' - ReneZ - 05-11-2016

I am not aware of any numbering system for these short paragraphs.
There is of course the line numbering used in the interlinear transcription file.
To devise a recipe numbering system, one should identify the groups of lines that form one recipe.

Originally, I counted the recipes by counting the stars, but I am no longer certain at all that each star marks one recipe. The bottom half of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. lacks any of the usual indications that identify paragraphs: none of the typical initials and no shorter lines. Also the less reliable indicators: larger spacing between lines or appearance of f or p  do not work here.

In short: a numbering system would be useful but it may not be easy to set up.

RE: Numbering 'Recipes' - Anton - 05-11-2016

I agree with Rene.

The easiest system would be to use the folio number and line number, something like 108v.4.

The problem with paragraphs is that they are sometimes difficult to distinguish between (when the last line spans full width and the line spacing is minimal), so general consensus is required as to the borders of paragraphs. Only then can we count them.

RE: Numbering 'Recipes' - Helmut Winkler - 05-11-2016

I am of thre same opinion, I think counting and numbering lines would be best, it is common usage

A common abbreviation  is l. for linea, e.g.   f. 108v l. 4

RE: Numbering 'Recipes' - Emma May Smith - 05-11-2016

I think that simply pointing to lines limits what I want to achieve. I really want to treat each of the 'recipes' as a whole with its own vocabulary and structure. Then I can compare which are similar and in what ways.

Naturally, each recipe number will be assigned a group of lines so that it can be found in the text.

I will give it a go and put up here my results so that people can criticize or praise them. I think that the paragraph splits can be identified in a number of ways, from most to least useful:

1) short lines showing the end of a paragraph;
2) large initial gallows marking the beginning of a paragraph;
3) presence of multiple f and p in the first line of a paragraph;
4) a greater vertical height between the last and first lines;
5) stars adjacent to first lines;
6) (on 108v) line linking stars to the start of a paragraph; and
7) the number of stars on a page indicating the number of paragraphs.

Otherwise it may take a bit of personal judgement. At worst we shall have to split a recipe in two or merge two into one if we later change our minds. But I think numbering may have the greater benefit of helping us think about Quire 20 in a more organized way.

RE: Numbering 'Recipes' - Anton - 05-11-2016

I've been using short lines and line spacing. In Recipes specifically, I've also checked for the stars, because the natural assumption is that stars mark individual blocks of information, and these blocks do not seem to be multi-paragraph.

The gallows criteria are too subtle, IMO.

RE: Numbering 'Recipes' - Sam G - 06-11-2016

(05-11-2016, 12:47 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I would like such numbers so I can easily draw parallels and links between them. I'm not certain they are recipes, but it is reasonable to suppose the are the same kind of thing, whatever that may be.

If you haven't already seen them, you might be interested in these tables that show the distribution of qokeey and qokeedy by paragraph in Quire 20:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

It would be useful to have more tables like that.  I don't know how hard it would be for someone to come up with a code that could produce such tables for any given word or regex.

RE: Numbering 'Recipes' - Emma May Smith - 06-11-2016

This is exactly the kind of thing I would like to put into a 'numbered recipe' format. So that rather than have the stats by page, we could literally give the number of every recipe in which such words were found. It may be that certain recipes have 'clusters' of words which obviously link them to other recipes or other pages. Given that each recipe may be the same 'kind' of thing (whatever it is they truly contain) comparing how each one deals with the same words should be inlightening.

RE: Numbering 'Recipes' - MarcoP - 07-11-2016

In the attached csv file, the first column labels lines in Takeshi Takahashi's transcription assigning each line to a paragraph. I simply used the "end of paragraph" = marker from the transcription as a paragraph separator. Paragraph labels are given as folio+progressive_number_in_folio (from f103r_par01 to f116r_par08).
For some reason, line 29 of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. was not transcribed by Takahashi: I include Stolfi's transcription instead.

The matching with stars seems to be reasonably good, but of course not perfect. For instance:
  • f105r: there are 10 stars in the text, and 12 “paragraphs” in the transcription. This is because there is a right aligned line at the height of the third star and a centrally aligned line at the very end of the page: both this lines are counted as “paragraphs”;
  • f105v: 10 stars and 10 paragraphs;
  • f111v: there are 19 stars, but only 7 paragraphs are marked in the transcription: the first half of the page seems to be a single long paragraph of 25 lines. 10 lines appear at the side of this long paragraph (the last two are joined together by something similar to the common star “tails”).
Please, take this with care since (as always) there could be mistakes on my side.

If we decide that this kind of numbering makes sense, this file (after verification of its correctness) can be used to compute paragraph statistics (e.g. a matrix of the number of common words between any two paragraphs). 
Or a similar file could be produced with a more sophisticated system.

[I had to add a .txt suffix to the file name in order to be able to attach it]

RE: Numbering 'Recipes' - ReneZ - 07-11-2016

Doing a count 'per page' rather than one single long count has of course the minor advantage that errors do not accumulate as badly. One mistake on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. would affect all numbering of later folios....