The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Latest proposed attributions and mnemonic devices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
iiiiI
Don,
I would very much like to read your work, but I don't like to give out personal info on this forum, and email falls into that category.
Would you consider publishing it on your blog, so that it is easily accessible and gets maximum readership?
iiiii
iiiii

iiiii
Don of Tallahassee,
I unfortunately won't get to see your images, but I will say that the bear paws you see in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is something I have long believed myself. Some have also seen lion paws but... I like the bear better.
Why might bear paws make sense as a first page illustration?
Because in medieval times in the alpine region, it was a custom for villagers to offer several bear paws as a yearly tribute to the lords of the land. So to begin a manuscript with three bear paws may be a reflection of this tradition, perhaps as a dedication of some sort.
Sources for anyone interested in further reading:
Pastoureau, L'ours, histoire d'un roi dechu

Androelli & Montanari, L'orso nella cultura nobiliare dall'Historia augusta a Chrétien de Troyes : Il bosco nel medioevo.