The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Proportions of Objects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Diane wrote:

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this - if so, apologies to Stellar and I'd ask the admins. to change it.

However, since there are mathematicians on board here, I would be very grateful indeed for any comment on the ratios given the central 'world' in folio 57v.  I should add that I have some reservations about the diagram on this folio; certain stylistic details make me suspect that it could have been added considerably later - perhaps by Kircher.

However, these are the proportions of the centre.  If anyone would care to comment. For example, do they match the ideas of any of the classical or ancient geometers about the world's proportions?  Have they any significance in Pythagorea ideas?   Any insights welcome.  I posted this in March 2013, but there was no response at that time. (fingers crossed).
[Image: f57v-centre-measures.jpg]

The posts where I treated it, if anyone wants the context, are:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

and another in response to a kind person's pointing out some work done by Rich Santacoloma, and which showed that the centre of f.57v has more than one "centre".

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I'd love to know what any mathematicians and/or classical-and-ancient historians make of those numbers. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like to start with good data (and to verify what I'm working with), so I took a sample of this part of the drawing and enlarged it proportionally to set the scale to the same scale as the top leg in your example above (4.75).

Then I used the software to tell me how long the legs were (so I wasn't projecting an expectation of the length onto the measurements) and recorded it to the third decimal. The legs begin in the center of the VMS "dot" and go to the inner edge of the rosette. This is what I got... Going counter-clockwise from the top, rounded to two decimals:

4.8, 4.8, 4.7, 6.0

I'm inclined to think it's just a sketch (not a precise drawing), but I'm willing to look at things from another perspective. I'm posting the drawing so you can see where each measurement was made and decide for yourself if the sampling is valid enough for discussion:

[Image: CenterProportions.png]