The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Venus and Libra
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some astrological speculation Smile

A You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. with a large star and a pair of scales is suggestive of Venus (the planetary ruler of Libra).
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., Divine Comedy, Italy (mentioned You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.): Crowned Venus with Stars and Scales
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.: Naked Venus with Star and Scales
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.: Venus with vaguely Voynich-like crown and Scales 
  • BAV ms lat. 1066 (? - I am not sure of the origin of this illustration): Crowned naked Venus (on the shell)
But it must be noted that the VMS has almost three hundred naked women with stars, some of which are crowned and associated with different zodiac signs. Also, images of Venus as a planetary ruler usually include Taurus (Venus' other zodiac sign) as well. So, the analogy could very well be an irrelevant coincidence.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=609]
Marco -

I think it's reasonable to say that the figures set in tiers (not all are women, and 'women' suggests a literalism not established) are associated with the name of a month, and that some of the month-names cover emblems which agree (more or less) with the emblems used in zodiacs.

The leap to assuming the purpose of the month-roundels astrological is larger than I think the evidence warrants; calendars were used for many other reasons, and since there's no evidence that these roundels originated in the Latin-using world (indeed, there is much evidence against it imo), so it may be relevant to mention that we have star-calendars which are not about astrology at all; some relate to agriculture, some relate to the navigational stars; some relate to religious rosters and timing the hours for prayer.

I think the 'astrological idea' is the first to come to most moderns' minds, simply because they are moderns, for whom no other sets of association are current.

I do wish we had someone with the necessary breadth of knowledge to offer an informed assessment - David King, or David Pingree.. we need someone of that calibre, don't we?  Sad
MarcoP: for what it's worth, only one of the three crowned nymphs in the Voynich's zodiac section looks original to me - the other two seem to me to have been emended, perhaps to distract attention away from the real one. I discussed this back in 2015:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Of course, I have no idea what this actually means, but I thought I ought to mention it anyway. :-)