The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Perhaps the plants are descriptions from a blind person
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Imagine if a blind person was describing the plants to another person who drew them.
It's an original idea, but the problem is.... how would we prove it?
(06-09-2016, 09:12 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It's an original idea, but the problem is.... how would we prove it?

Imagine for example.. 7r, "A plant that looks like a huge star with another star within.. and 2 roots, almost like legs" Maybe the description could match a plant but the picture is inaccurate.
The problem is that of the use case. Why would anybody use blind man's descriptions to draw plants?

Suppose the blind man returned from a land faraway to describe unknown plants. But will he be able to memorize and describe 100+ plants?
(06-09-2016, 09:25 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The problem is that of the use case. Why would anybody use blind man's descriptions to draw plants?

Suppose the blind man returned from a land faraway to describe unknown plants. But will he be able to memorize and describe 100+ plants?

Imagine if it wasn't very usual with educated people from the place where the manuscript came from.
I guess one could think of a case where a plant expert has gone blind and an attempt is made to transfer his knowledge to vellum. But once again, I don't see how this theory could move beyond "could be" stage.

(And I think it's very, very unlikely, but we are open minded Smile)
Yes I agree that this is of course possible but highly unlikely.

Dried specimens, mnemonics and imaginary plants seem to me better candidates.
(06-09-2016, 09:32 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I guess one could think of a case where a plant expert has gone blind and an attempt is made to transfer his knowledge to vellum. But once again, I don't see how this theory could move beyond "could be" stage.

(And I think it's very, very unlikely, but we are open minded Smile)

Yeah, thanks for your reply anyways. Tongue