The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Bottom of 66r reads like a captcha in Norwegian
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I believe everyone here will find this very interesting.  The picture at the bottom of folio 66r shows a bloated woman on her back.  I believe the text that is not in voynich, but straight Norwegian reads, "Jen a great deal of Greed".

[Image: 14212021_10208791363173208_4951981115639...e=583F0AAD]
(01-09-2016, 02:35 AM)stellar Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I believe everyone here will find this very interesting.  The picture at the bottom of folio 66r shows a bloated woman on her back.  I believe the text that is not in voynich, but straight Norwegian reads, "Jen a great deal of Greed".

If you're familiar with German, the second word is fairly clearly old German mus (with a B-shaped terminal-"s" that was common in 15th-century German manuscripts).

I also believe the original third word was "mel" as the ink for the "m" (under the overwritten letter) matches the colors of the following letters better than the ink of the overwritten part, which is a tiny bit darker. The ell is quite clearly written in the same Gothic cursive style as the marginalia on the last page and spacing- and shape-wise could possibly be the same hand. Mel was a common ingredient of many medieval potions and salves and means the same thing in several languages (mel, melle, etc.)
(01-09-2016, 04:33 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(01-09-2016, 02:35 AM)stellar Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I believe everyone here will find this very interesting.  The picture at the bottom of folio 66r shows a bloated woman on her back.  I believe the text that is not in voynich, but straight Norwegian reads, "Jen a great deal of Greed".

If you're familiar with German, the second word is fairly clearly old German mus (with a B-shaped terminal-"s" that was common in 15th-century German manuscripts).

I also believe the original third word was "mel" as the ink for the "m" (under the overwritten letter) matches the colors of the following letters better than the ink of the overwritten part, which is a tiny bit darker. The ell is quite clearly written in the same Gothic cursive style as the marginalia on the last page and spacing- and shape-wise could possibly be the same hand. Mel was a common ingredient of many medieval potions and salves and means the same thing in several languages (mel, melle, etc.)

It could go either way, but gjer is clearly Nordic and the picture seems to show food out of a basket.  The woman looks full and bloated, but thanks for your input.  Like I said it could go either way.
(01-09-2016, 05:07 AM)stellar Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(01-09-2016, 04:33 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(01-09-2016, 02:35 AM)stellar Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It could go either way, but gjer is clearly Nordic and the picture seems to show food out of a basket.  The woman looks full and bloated, but thanks for your input.  Like I said it could go either way.

Normally, I would agree that the interpretation of these letters can be debated but that is not an "r", that is clearly a Gothic cursive "l" and if you look at the marginalia on the last page you will see it written in the same way. Spend a couple of years reading Gothic cursive manuscripts and you can recognize it at a glance.
Stellar, tell me what this says (without asking someone else for help). This is a 12th century script that is easier to read than Gothic cursive:

[Image: EarlyScript.jpg]
The bottom of 66r is one of the few obvious things in the ms. There is an obviously sick person pointing to a swelling on its abdomen, there is something like a pot (with a yellowish substance in it?) and two pancakelike things. The reading of mus and mel is undisputable, the script is really like the  Gothic script on 116v, German Mus - English pulp or puree and mel, German Mehl, English flour. Mehl is what you take for making Mus. It is a prescription for making a plaster with an ointment. That is why I have suggested before that the en on the left margin is an abbreviation  for enplastrum. What would interest me is why someone has made a squiggle over the mel, if it is the same squiggle as that before the en, which i take for a Nota-sign, what is under the opposite folio, which is difficult to see and if the single letter is a p (it looks a bit like a Greek Gamma). And the big question is, of course, if it has something to do with the rest of 66r.
Not hiding whether any character under the previous bifolio the word "ven"?
It seems strange coincidence, the presence on bifolio 57v - 66r, respectively, "Weirdos" and marginalia. Perhaps these labels it was written before the stitching and linked within the meaning.
If Rene identifies " Weirdos " like "17Th", it reminds me of the code 189 (advanced EVA) + horizontal line at the top, giving a total "I" (EVA) + code 171 (v101) + horizontal line.
Thread moved to Marginalia.

BTW, we already have a thread about You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. marginalia. Not sure if we need another one. Maybe better merge the two?
As to the title post, I'm afraid it's a bit irrelevant to refer to Nynorsk, as it was developed only in XIX century. (I heard that Norwegian traditionalists do not like Nynorsk Smile ).
(01-09-2016, 09:32 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.As to the title post, I'm afraid it's a bit irrelevant to refer to Nynorsk, as it was developed only in XIX century. (I heard that Norwegian traditionalists do not like Nynorsk Smile ).

Quite right and... Norse names have changed substantially over the centuries. I doubt if there were any or many Norse women named "Jen" in the 15th century, just as there are not many today who are named Unn, Arnvi∂r, Gautstafr, Fri∂þjòfr, or Gu∂fri∂r.