The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Mostly about images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are some things in the Voynich Manuscript that seem to have real significance and can be related to other images or sources from antiquity.

One is the depiction of what looks to be a four-legged, long-tailed Scorpio without pincers or carapace. I have illustrated all the Scorpios I could find from before the days of the VMS and shown that quite a number (26?) of the four-legged, long-tailed, pincerless, carapaceless images of the beast exist, almost all from France or England. Let me know, I'll send the file.

Another is the supposed Zodiac with month names. I, and several others before me, have done the research and shown that most seem to come from the western part of Europe, mainly from France and England. Let me know, I'll send the file.

Another is the text, itself, with the many glyphs copied directly from the Latin alphabet. This again seems to point to the author being fairly familiar with the Latin alphabet and its use. Not necessarily showing a European origin, but showing a familiarity with at least one of its languages.

The text is broken up into what look like words. This is again an European way of doing things, but probably not exclusive to the continent.

Almost all VMS words can be deconstructed into the elements (codes) they are composed of. There is one very large group of elements (Group I) and five smaller groups of elements (Groups II to VI). These elements (if present) must be added to each other in numerical order and in a strict sequence that can be reversed to show the individual elements. The five smaller groups have only fifty five elements (total) among them with which to seeming modify the Group I element (code) found in each word. This is how almost all of the VMS words are formed. The additional five element groups are each represented by only one code in each word, if represented at all. The structure upon which these elements seems rigid and up to the task. It works (so far) with 99.5 percent of the nearly 2,400 words in the VMS that are repeated twice or more. It looks like it will work with most of the rest, especially if some additional codes are included. I've shown the way to deconstruct the VMS words on my site at fumblydiddles.com. The proposed meanings for the codes are posted there, also.

The word makeup is definitely not random, with approximately 85% of the total number of words in the text being ones that are repeated twice or more (some hundreds of times), while many of the possible likely random combinations of the glyphs (the two and three glyph possible combinations) that could occur do not appear as VMS words even once.

The text also seems to have paragraphs made up almost entirely of what look like words. This is the European way of doing it, but again, probably not exclusive.

The text seems to be written from left to right. There are some languages from the period and from today that do not use this convention.

Another similarity with manuscripts of the time and before is the use of the wolkenbänd/wavy line pattern/nebuly line. There are many uses of the artistic motif/device in the VMS. I have shown that probably the closest match of another manuscript to the VMS from the period (or before) in relation to the use of the motif/device is in a manuscript probably from around York in England in the early Fifteenth Century. File available on request.

All in all, these seem to show a European origin, maybe a Western European origin, or even a British one.

When coupled with an image in a Scottish Library, again probably from around York and from before the period of the origin for the VMS, that shows the only other known period image where the merperson in the image is stepping out of the costume, and with other similarities to the VMS mermaid, all the above seem to lend their individual bits of proof that the VMS was dreamed up in Western Europe, maybe by someone who had spent time in England. Maybe it was even made in  England.

Oh, I almost forgot, the language behind the codes in the code groups seems to be English.

That's the other reason for thinking the manuscript may have been written in England.

From those unwilling to accept my ideas, I will accept other mermaids stepping out of their tails in images of the period, other examples of manuscripts using several different styles of usage or depictions of the nebuly line motif/device with similar images or new images of four-legged Scorpios from Italy, Greece or other venues farther removed as refutations of my ideas. I will accept anything where the relationship seems to prove another person's ideas, if pertinent. I'm showing what exists. I hope any arguments, mine or from others, do likewise. Heck, I'll even look very closely at any other proposed solution that purports to decode more than a dozen or two stray words from around the VMS. Mine purports to decode and give meaning to almost all of the words.

I'm making a lot of claims lately, and showing what I think is proof for many of those claims.

Does anyone have proof I'm wrong or better proof they are right? Does anyone have a motif/device that they think proves anything better than the nebuly line work or a more demonstrative file than the Scorpios file?

One thing that must be said in favor of my proposed solution and supporting ideas is that the proof seems to be there and the words do seem to be made up like I say they are - there will not be much in the way of wiggle room or ambiguity when it is all finished and the meanings agreed on.

I've shown (or can show) you mine. It's your turns to show me yours.

I'm just one little pipsqueak of a mouse doing a lot of roaring. And there are a whole lot of y'all. (I think the odds are only slightly tilted in my favor.)

Bring it on, if you can.

Thank you.

Don of Tallahassee
Don

I don't have much time, about to travel abroad tomorrow. Just some quick remarks though. 

The text: I agree that it looks very Latin. This does not say much about origin, though, since it might be a transcription. In fact, if the script is constructed, it is almost by definition a transcription. I have analyzed a number of labels from the "small plants" section and I take them to contain the "local" names of tropical plants, aimed at Greek speakers. One of the possibilities is that it was originally written in Greek, then much later transcribed to a more Latin set of glyphs. Just to say: I agree that the glyphs do look Latin and to some extent contemporary to the physical manuscript. That does not mean, of course, that they are original

The imagery: I have focused my efforts mostly on the small plants section and quire 13. In those sections, I see not much that points towards 15thC "Latin" influence, and, as you know, much that points South-East rather than North-West. 

About the other sections, the ones you mention, I mostly agree with Diane's analyses. The nine rosettes foldout is special case and has undergone different influences than the rest of the manuscript. I must admit that I don't understand the first thing about it Smile

Now the "zodiac which may not be a zodiac", that's something else. It has clearly undergone the most recent edits. In fact, over at Bax's site, I have myself participated in finding parallels for the Gemini image, and those are found in the Carolingian and later traditions. Also, it would be weird to claim that the crossbowman is Hellenistic Egyptian Smile

What I find the most important thing to bring across, is that, if we assume much older sources, the manuscript is kind of an "anthology", gathering different sources that have known a different history, transmission and cultural influences. Many of such older manuscripts are anthologies much more than the work of an "author". 

So for me it is perfectly fine to say that yes, one section shows 15thC medieval influences, while another doesn't, and yet another has been gained from a totally different place.

A consequence of this view is that the text must be either a late addition, or a late "uniformization". Because that is one of the things that unify the manuscript. 

So in short, I actually agree with most of your points, which doesn't mean that there must have been a 15thC European "author".